Nine Districts in Bihar Hit by Flood, 4 Lakh People Affected
Nine districts of Bihar have been hit by flood which has claimed two lives so far and affected around four lakh people.
Chief Minister Jitan Ram Manjhi, accompanied by Chief Secretary Anjani Kumar Singh and Disaster Management Department (DMD) Principal Secretary Vyasji, conducted an aerial survey of the inundated areas and ordered all out efforts to provide relief to the people.
"Express relief measures should be taken. There is no dearth of funds for the purpose and money will be immediately allocated for it when officials bring it to our notice," said Manjhi after taking a first hand account of the affected areas.
Darbhanga, Nalanda, West Champaran, Supaul, Saharasa, Nawada, Sheikhpura, Sitamarhi and Patna district have been affected by flood, a senior DMD official said, adding two persons died in flood in Saharsa district today.
Around 38,000 people have been evacuated so far and 75 relief camps have been set up in the affected districts.
The DMD Principal Secretary told PTI, "Floodwater has entered Daniyawan and Belchhi blocks in Patna district. It is has come from the adjoining Nalanda district where Panchane and Sakri rivers have brought flood."
Vyasji said several blocks in Nalanda district are affected and two NDRF teams have been pressed into rescue and relief operations. In Nawada district several low lying areas have been inundated due to very heavy rainfall, he said.
Talking about Darbhanga and West Champaran, where floods have come due to breaches in the embankments of Kamla Balan and Gandak rivers, the DMD Principal Secretary said the repair work is on.
"A major obstacle in the evacuation process is that the affected people do not want to leave their homes. So we have decided to go for relief work in the affected areas and have started providing food grains to them," added Vyasji.
The DMD has also sounded high alert in 28 flood-prone districts of Bihar.
"There has been very heavy rainfall in Nepal and the water is ultimately going to come down to Bihar through the major rivers that flow to the state through the neighbouring country. We are gearing up to meet the situation," said Vyasji.
The DMD Principal Secretary said the water level of Kosi river has risen, impacting the villages settled in the space between the river and its embankment in Supaul and Saharsa districts. He added that 12,000 people have been rescued in these two districts so far.
The DMD has deployed eight teams of NDRF in the affected districts, while four more from Kolkata are supposed to reach by tonight. Five teams of State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) have also been positioned at various places.
Floodwaters have spread over 27 blocks covering around 160 panchayats in the nine districts.
DMD Special Secretary Anirudh Kumar said, "As part of disaster relief measures, we have started providing food grain and Rs 4,700 to families in whose homes flood water has entered."
He said 487 boats including motorboats, government country boats and private ones have been pressed into service for relief and rescue operations.
Kumar said threat could be posed by Kosi, Bagmati and Adhwara group of rivers in the next couple of days as their water level is showing an uptrend. He also added that the level of other major rivers like Mahananda, Gandak and Kamla Balan is showing downward trend.
Meanwhile after assessing the flood situation, the Water Resources Department (WRD) said the embankment on Kamla Balan river is damaged at two places in Kumhraul and Baur villages in Ghanshyampur block of Darbhanga district, and the length of the breach is at present 30 metres and 10 metres respectively.
The WRD also assessed the breach in the Gandak embankment in West Champaran. Its officials said the length of the breach is around 30 metres in Bagaha block of the district.
- Centre Applauds Army's Attack On Pakistan Posts
- ISIS Claims Responsibility For Manchester Blast That Killed 22
- James Bond Actor Roger Moore Dies At 89
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 1984 Riots: Congress Leader Jagdish Tytler Refuses To Undergo Polygraph Test
- Bomb Scare Delays Movie Screening At Cannes
- Indian Railways' First Ever High-Speed Luxurious Train, Tejas Express, To Be Flagged Off Today
- Allegations Prove Others Are Scared of AAP's Anti-Corruption Campaign: Kejriwal
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10