Nifty Hits New Lifetime High at 7,848.30 on Capital Inflows
The NSE Nifty and BSE Sensex today scaled new record highs of 7,848.30 and 26,320.66 respectively in afternoon trade on the back of rally in banking, auto, capital goods and oil & gas sector stocks amid sustained capital inflows.
The 50-issue Nifty regained the psychological 7,800-level for the first time since July 25 by surging 56.60 points, or 0.72 per cent, to trade at an all-time high of 7,848.30, surpassing its previous intra-day high of 7,840.95 touched on July 25.
Similarly, the benchmark BSE Sensex also climbed 217.43 points, or 0.83 per cent, to trade at 26,320.66, breaching its earlier high of 26,300.17 (intra-day) reached on July 25.
The gauge had rallied over 774 points in previous four sessions.
In NSE-50 constituents, 41 stocks led by banking, oil & gas and power were trading in positive zone.
Brokers said market sentiments were upbeat on sustained capital inflows and widespread buying by retail investors after several blue-chip companies posted better-than-expected first quarter earnings.
Besides, rebound in the rupee against the dollar on Friday and easing global crude oil prices buoyed trading sentiments, they said.
Major gainers which supported the Nifty to scale new life-time high were ICICI Bank, Axis Bank, SBI, HDFC Bank, BPCL, Tata Power, BHEL, Tata Motors, Larsen and Toubro and ONGC.
Further, a mixed trend at other Asian bourses and a higher opening in European markets lifted the trading sentiments here, they added.
Meanwhile, Foreign Portfolio Investors (FPIs) bought shares worth a net Rs 625.18 crore in the previous session, as per provisional data from the stock exchanges.
Among other Asian markets, Hong Kong's Hang Seng was down 0.15 per cent while Japan's Nikkei rose 0.23 per cent in early trade today.
- Samsung Heir Indicted For Bribery, Embezzlement
- Uber Asks Top Executive To Go For Hiding Sexual Harassment Charge
- Ringing Bells Manager Arrested For Fraud
- 'Have Killed Iranians': Kansas Shooter Told Bartender
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- OECD Cuts India's Growth to 7%, Says India a Star Performer
- 'It's About The Freedom To Coexist Yet Disagree':Hundreds Participate In DU Protest March Against ABVP
- Shooter Jitu Rai Wins Bronze in ISSF World Cup
- FIR Registered Against Unknown Persons In Connection With The Case Of Kargil Martyr's Daughter
- RBI Sets Up Panel to Review Cyber Threats
- Reliance Jio's Tariff Aggressive, Unsustainable, Says Airtel's Sunil Mittal
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Delhi Court Acquits 2 In 2005 Serial Blasts, Sentences Third Accused To 10-Year Jail Term
- Govt Plans Chaupals To Link Weaker Sections To Cashless System
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events