Nepalese Leaders Laud Modi's Address to Constituent Assembly
Prime Minister Narendra Modi's address to the Constituent Assembly here was today hailed by Nepalese leaders across the political spectrum with Maoist leader Prachanda saying the speech was "touching" and he was visualising the dawn of a new chapter in bilateral ties.
Prachanda, who has been a critic of India, said the way Modi spoke demonstrates that he thoroughly understands the "ups and downs" of Nepal's peace process.
"His speech was touching and very inspiring," the United Communist Party of Nepal leader whose actual name is Pushpa Kamal Dahal said while commenting on Modi's 45-minute address.
"I feel a new chapter is going to open in India-Nepal relations," said Prachanda who will be meeting Modi tomorrow.
The 60-year-old former Prime Minister had quit the post a few years back following a controversy over sacking of the Army Chief and has since been critical of India.
After Modi's address, Prachanda said he was "encouraged" and things can move forward after his meeting with the Indian leader tomorrow.
Prachanda had earlier led a decade-long armed Maoist movement before coming overground after an agreement was reached in 2007.
Manohar Bhattarai, Secretary-General of the Constituent Assembly, also said Modi's speech touched the heart of all Nepalese.
Modi began his hour-long address by speaking in Nepalese, which was received with a round of applause.
Abdul Hameed Siddiqui, MP, said the speech was worth appreciation as it touched all hearts.
Mahesh Vishwakarma of the Nepali Congress also hailed the speech, saying Modi's focus on neighbourhood was a great gesture.
- Mumbai Is The Richest Indian City With Total Wealth Of USD 820 Billion
- Paytm Offers To Hire Employees Sacked By Rival Companies
- Kim Killing Suspect Thought She Was In A 'Comedy Video'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- DU Professor Injured in Violence Hospitalised
- Fire Breaks Out At The Times Of India Building In New Delhi
- Kerala CM Retracts His Remark Denying Conspiracy in Assault on Actress
- Trump to Skip White House Correspondents' Dinner Amidst Tiff With Media
- Pakistan Rangers Kill 4, Detain Over 600 Terror Suspects In 200 Search Operations
- Maharashtra: Nearly 350 Students In Custody,18 Others Arrested After Army Recruitment Board Papers Leaked
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rahul Gandhi Says He Has Information Of PM Modi's Personal Corruption
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Demonetisation Advisers Need Elementary Course In Economics Says Chidambaram
- 52 Killed, Over 100 Injured in Sufi Shrine Blast in Pak's Balochistan