Nepal Says It Can Pitch in During Tomato Crisis
Nepal could pitch in and supply tomatoes at competitive rates at times when its prices soar in India, according to a Minister of the neighbouring country.
"June-November is tomato production season in mid hill tracts of our country and we could sell tomatoes at competitive prices," Parajuli, who was in the city for a conference, told PTI.
Stating that he noticed prices of tomatoes touching Rs 80 a kg in India recently, Prajuli said during such times his country can pitch in.
"We could supply tomatoes at Rs 20 a kilo or even less when the procurement is bulk. Logistics support is available and supplies will be smooth," he said on the sidelines of the four-day Asia-Pacific conference on 'Role of Family Farming' being organised by the M S Swaminathan Research Foundation.
Stating that individual traders faced "some glitches" in border crossings at the hands of authorities, he expressed hope that the trade situation would improve with more consultations between the two countries.
On the "specific areas of cooperation" between Nepal and India, he said development of better quality seeds that would deliver higher yields was an important area of interest for his country.
"Be it paddy, maize, millet, wheat or vegetables, better seeds with definite scope for higher yields are important and research in this area is welcome."
Nepal was making bigger strides in several areas, including farming, he said. The ancillary sector of meat production has been incentivised. "We provide 50 per cent subsidy for sheep farms."
FROM OUTLOOKLand ReformsInstead of helping the small farmer, West Bengals land reforms have created a new zamindar class...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionA few years ago, a man used to come home every mormore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, Jul 26 (PTI) Congress President Sonia Gmore from WIRES>>>
- Agli Baar, Medal Beshumaar: PM Announces Task Force to Prepare India for Olympics
- France Top Court Suspends Burkini Ban
- Pak Regrets India's Rejection of 'Discuss Kashmir' Proposal
- Scorpene Data Leak Not a Big Worry: Parrikar
- Can't Order Establishment of 'Ram Rajya' in the Country: SC
- Haji Ali Dargah Should Allow Women, Says Bombay HC
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Whistleblower to Handover Scorpene Data Disk to Aus Govt: Newspaper
- Kanhaiya, Two Others Granted Regular Bail in Sedition Case
- Odisha Govt Admits Lapses, Man Says No Heed Paid by Hospital
- Are Decisions Taken by Cabinet Being Implemented, PM Seeks to Know
- AAP Removes Chhotepur as Punjab Convenor
- Cong Raking Up Needless Controversies for Political Gains: Naidu
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED