Nepal Says It Can Pitch in During Tomato Crisis
Nepal could pitch in and supply tomatoes at competitive rates at times when its prices soar in India, according to a Minister of the neighbouring country.
"June-November is tomato production season in mid hill tracts of our country and we could sell tomatoes at competitive prices," Parajuli, who was in the city for a conference, told PTI.
Stating that he noticed prices of tomatoes touching Rs 80 a kg in India recently, Prajuli said during such times his country can pitch in.
"We could supply tomatoes at Rs 20 a kilo or even less when the procurement is bulk. Logistics support is available and supplies will be smooth," he said on the sidelines of the four-day Asia-Pacific conference on 'Role of Family Farming' being organised by the M S Swaminathan Research Foundation.
Stating that individual traders faced "some glitches" in border crossings at the hands of authorities, he expressed hope that the trade situation would improve with more consultations between the two countries.
On the "specific areas of cooperation" between Nepal and India, he said development of better quality seeds that would deliver higher yields was an important area of interest for his country.
"Be it paddy, maize, millet, wheat or vegetables, better seeds with definite scope for higher yields are important and research in this area is welcome."
Nepal was making bigger strides in several areas, including farming, he said. The ancillary sector of meat production has been incentivised. "We provide 50 per cent subsidy for sheep farms."
FROM OUTLOOKLand ReformsInstead of helping the small farmer, West Bengals land reforms have created a new zamindar class...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionA few years ago, a man used to come home every mormore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, Jul 26 (PTI) Congress President Sonia Gmore from WIRES>>>
- Open the Dam Shutters, SC Asks Karnataka to Release 6000 Cusecs of Water to TN
- After Indus Water Treaty, India Will Now Review the Most Favoured Nation Status Given to Pak
- Corruption Accused Ex-Corporate Affairs DG Bansal Commits Suicide Along With Son
- Clinton Puts Trump on Defensive in Fiery First Presidential Debate
- USA: Nine Injured in Shooting at Strip Mall in Houston
- Abandon 'Dream' of Obtaining Kashmir: Swaraj to Pakistan
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Watch: A Poacher's Court Tries To Save Elephants And Rhinos In Africa
- US Bans Many Soaps With Harmful Chemicals, Indians Too at Health Risk
- 6-Year-Old Boy Wonder Cooks Kerala's Puttu for US Audience on Ellen Show
- Bound By Chain Great Dane Starved To Death
- Yashvardhan Sinha Appointed India's High Commissioner to UK
- BSF Orders More Non-Lethal Weapons for Use at Bangladesh Border
- Pathankot on High Alert, Search Operation Launched
- Curfew Relaxed for Six Hours in Kishtwar District of J&K
- India Confronts Pak Envoy With Proof of Uri Attack's Cross Border Origins
- Pakistani Actors Should Condemn Uri Attack: Anupam Kher
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED