Nepal Says It Can Pitch in During Tomato Crisis
Nepal could pitch in and supply tomatoes at competitive rates at times when its prices soar in India, according to a Minister of the neighbouring country.
"June-November is tomato production season in mid hill tracts of our country and we could sell tomatoes at competitive prices," Parajuli, who was in the city for a conference, told PTI.
Stating that he noticed prices of tomatoes touching Rs 80 a kg in India recently, Prajuli said during such times his country can pitch in.
"We could supply tomatoes at Rs 20 a kilo or even less when the procurement is bulk. Logistics support is available and supplies will be smooth," he said on the sidelines of the four-day Asia-Pacific conference on 'Role of Family Farming' being organised by the M S Swaminathan Research Foundation.
Stating that individual traders faced "some glitches" in border crossings at the hands of authorities, he expressed hope that the trade situation would improve with more consultations between the two countries.
On the "specific areas of cooperation" between Nepal and India, he said development of better quality seeds that would deliver higher yields was an important area of interest for his country.
"Be it paddy, maize, millet, wheat or vegetables, better seeds with definite scope for higher yields are important and research in this area is welcome."
Nepal was making bigger strides in several areas, including farming, he said. The ancillary sector of meat production has been incentivised. "We provide 50 per cent subsidy for sheep farms."
- K.P.S. Gill, Who Killed Terrorism In Punjab, Dies
- Yeddyurappa Will Be BJP's CM Face In Karnataka: Shah
- Modi Govt Should Rethink NITI Aayog Existence: RSS trade union
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' to release in China
- Angry Over Amit Shah's Comment, Telangana CM Says No Final Decision On Supporting BJP For President Post
- Indian Woman Uzma, Who Was Forced to Marry Pakistani Man, Returns Home, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- Malayali Man Brings His Pakistani Lover And Her Parents to India With Fake Docs, All Detained in Bengaluru
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10