Nepal Flood-Landslide Kills 240, India Announces 30 Mn Package
India today announced a relief assistance of NRs 48 million for the victims of the recent floods and landslides that have hit different parts of Nepal, claiming over 240 lives in two weeks.
"The government of India will provide Rs 30 million (NRs 48 million) assistance to the victims of recent floods and landslides in Nepal," Ambassador Ranjit Rae said during a function organised by Nepal-India Friendship Society here to celebrate the 68th Independence Day of India.
India has also arranged three helicopters and one airplane is on standby at the border for disaster relief operation on call of the Nepal government, he said.
Recent floods and landslides triggered by heavy rain in central and western Nepal have left over 240 people dead in the past two weeks.
The death toll in the landslides and floods triggered by heavy rain over the past three days has reached 85, Home Ministry spokesperson Shanker Koirala said.
Forty six people have been injured and 113 people are still missing in different parts of the country.
Floods and landslides have affected 30 districts, nearly one third of the country over the weekend.
Surkhet district situated in the far west of the country, is the most affected area, where 24 people have died, Koirala said.
The government has evacuated 12,000 people from Banke and Bardiya districts over the weekend, Koirala added.
Today, 15 people including 11 injured have been rescued from Jajarkot district, with the assistance of Nepal Army and police personnel, he said.
Twenty five houses were swept away in Birendranagar Municipality in Surkhet district.
"We will ask government of India for help if required," the Home Ministry spokesperson said.
Two weeks ago the blockade of water in Sunkoshi river caused by a massive landslide killed 156 people in Sindhupalchok district bordering Tibet, some 90 km east of Kathmandu.
- Encounter In Assam Was Fake, Says Top CRPF Officer
- Nepal Prime Minister Prachanda Resigns
- 'Enemy' Will Remember Pakistan's Response
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10