NDFB Kills Girl in Front of Her Parents for Being a Suspected Informer
A teenage girl was shot dead by the NDFB in the presence of her parents in Assam's Chirang district as militants suspected her of being a police informer and a probe has been announced after chilling video of the killing was aired by local television channels.
The video, sent by the NDFB militants and was being aired by television channels since last night, showed a 16-year-old girl lying slumped on the ground in a pool of blood in the presence of her parents and residents of Dwimugri village under Runikhata police station in the district.
Government spokesman and Industries minister Pradyut said a probe would be ordered into the killing by militants of the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (Songbijit).
He said that the veracity of reports that the girl's body was lying in a field in the village for the past two days as her parents were afraid to retrieve it, would be verified.
The government would also take action against any policeman found guilty of dereliction of duty, he said.
The girl was suspected to have been killed a day after five NDFB(S) militants were killed in an encounter with security forces on August 20.
An NDFB(S) militant claimed in the video that the girl was killed for being 'an informer' and it was a warning to others.
He also claimed and that the militants of his group were killed not by the army, but by the rival NDFB (Daimary).
Villagers alleged that the police reached the spot only after the video was telecast.
A police spokesman said that the body of the girl was retrieved and sent for post mortem examination.
Quoting the villagers, the spokesman said a group of heavily armed militants dragged the girl out from her house alleging she was a police informer and and shot her dead from close range in the presence of her parents and them.
The incident triggered widespread condemnation.
All Assam Students' Union Advisor Samujjal Bhattacharya described it as "a barbaric incident which does not happen in civilised society... This particular killing indicates the level of lawlessness prevailing in the state".
The All Bodo Students' Union said it demonstrates the deteriorating law and order in four districts under the Bodoland Territorial Area Districts (BTAD).
Advisor of the All Bodo Women’s Welfare Federation Romila Islari said the people in the four districts live in constant fear.
In an email, ABSU president Pramod Boro said the result of its clash with the government and NDFB (Ronjan) faction should not bring tragedy to innocent peace loving people.
"We have observed over the years that woman, children and students have been the victims of every unwanted conflict created either by the militants or the government agencies. So it is our ardent appeal to all concerned to remain away from such sadistic acts allowing every citizen to live in a peaceful and conducive atmosphere," he said.
He also alleged that instead of dealing with the NDFB problem, the Tarun Gogoi government was politicking for its own benefit.
The ABSU leader also criticised the government for declaring a bravery award in the name of the victim instead of taking measures to check the insurgency problem.
All Assam Adivasi Peace Movement Joint Secretary Biswajit Minz in another statement also condemned the brutality of NDFB(S) and urged both factions to restrain themselves.
FROM OUTLOOKPakistanThe madrassahs, flocked by students, are the training ground—for Islamic learning and militancy...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFOR THE RECORDAll of us at Berkeley are devastated by the loss omore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESHTML clipboard With only "half-hearted" measuremore from WIRES>>>
- Herald Case: Notice Issued to Sonia, Rahul on Swamy's Petition
- WB: Two Die as Fire Breaks Out in Murshidabad Hospital
- PM Trying to Reverse AAP Govt's Decisions Through LG: Kejriwal
- Give Me One Chance: Mehbooba Appeals to Protesters
- Dhaka Cafe Attack 'Mastermind', 2 Others Killed in Encounter
- Nude Monk Delivers 'Kadve Vachan' in Haryana Assembly
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Chhotepur Rejects Panel, Dares AAP to Make Bribe Video Public
- Woman Raped, Attacked With Acid in Kanpur
- Universities Should Be Bastions of Free Speech, Debate: Prez
- WB: Flood Situation Worsens in Malda, 2 Killed
- Malaysian Students Rally to Demand Prime Minister's Arrest
- Sharif Sends 22 Special Envoys to World Capitals to Highlight Kashmir Issue
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED