NDFB Kills Girl in Front of Her Parents for Being a Suspected Informer
A teenage girl was shot dead by the NDFB in the presence of her parents in Assam's Chirang district as militants suspected her of being a police informer and a probe has been announced after chilling video of the killing was aired by local television channels.
The video, sent by the NDFB militants and was being aired by television channels since last night, showed a 16-year-old girl lying slumped on the ground in a pool of blood in the presence of her parents and residents of Dwimugri village under Runikhata police station in the district.
Government spokesman and Industries minister Pradyut said a probe would be ordered into the killing by militants of the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (Songbijit).
He said that the veracity of reports that the girl's body was lying in a field in the village for the past two days as her parents were afraid to retrieve it, would be verified.
The government would also take action against any policeman found guilty of dereliction of duty, he said.
The girl was suspected to have been killed a day after five NDFB(S) militants were killed in an encounter with security forces on August 20.
An NDFB(S) militant claimed in the video that the girl was killed for being 'an informer' and it was a warning to others.
He also claimed and that the militants of his group were killed not by the army, but by the rival NDFB (Daimary).
Villagers alleged that the police reached the spot only after the video was telecast.
A police spokesman said that the body of the girl was retrieved and sent for post mortem examination.
Quoting the villagers, the spokesman said a group of heavily armed militants dragged the girl out from her house alleging she was a police informer and and shot her dead from close range in the presence of her parents and them.
The incident triggered widespread condemnation.
All Assam Students' Union Advisor Samujjal Bhattacharya described it as "a barbaric incident which does not happen in civilised society... This particular killing indicates the level of lawlessness prevailing in the state".
The All Bodo Students' Union said it demonstrates the deteriorating law and order in four districts under the Bodoland Territorial Area Districts (BTAD).
Advisor of the All Bodo Women’s Welfare Federation Romila Islari said the people in the four districts live in constant fear.
In an email, ABSU president Pramod Boro said the result of its clash with the government and NDFB (Ronjan) faction should not bring tragedy to innocent peace loving people.
"We have observed over the years that woman, children and students have been the victims of every unwanted conflict created either by the militants or the government agencies. So it is our ardent appeal to all concerned to remain away from such sadistic acts allowing every citizen to live in a peaceful and conducive atmosphere," he said.
He also alleged that instead of dealing with the NDFB problem, the Tarun Gogoi government was politicking for its own benefit.
The ABSU leader also criticised the government for declaring a bravery award in the name of the victim instead of taking measures to check the insurgency problem.
All Assam Adivasi Peace Movement Joint Secretary Biswajit Minz in another statement also condemned the brutality of NDFB(S) and urged both factions to restrain themselves.
- Stone-Pelters Should Fire Weapons, Then I Could Do What I Want: Rawat
- Impose Governor's Rule If J&K Is To Be Saved: Farooq Abdullah
- Narada Journalists Threaten Hunger Strike Over Dues
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 14 Men Molest 2 Women, Posts Video On The Social Media
- Defending The Use of 'Human Shield', General Bipin Rawat Says 'Dirty War' In Kashmir Has To Be Fought With 'Innovative Ways'
- After Rahul, Now Akhilesh Denied Entry to Violence-Hit Saharanpur
- Three Booked For Abducting, Raping Minor Girl In Rajasthan
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10