NCP Backs Reservation for Dhangar Community as STs
NCP president Sharad Pawar today announced his party's support to the demand of Dhangar community for reservation under Scheduled Tribes (ST) category.
"The demand of Dhangar community is justified and we support it," he told reporters here.
Stating that there appeared a "misunderstanding" regarding NCP's stand on the issue, Pawar sought to clarify that the party wanted reservation for Dhangar community without compromising on existing reservation quota meant for the Adivasis.
Maharashtra has been witnessing a sustained agitation launched by Dhangar (shepherd) community to press for their demand. A "chakka jam" protest stir was organised this week at various places in the state subsequent to a hunger strike undertaken by their leaders at Baramati recently.
Mahadeo Jankar, one of the leaders spearheading the agitation, had alleged that Congress-NCP coalition government in the state was apathetic to their demand for reservation under ST list.
In reply to a question, Pawar said, "Decision on giving the Assembly (elections) tickets to the candidates who lost the recent Lok Sabha elections in the state would be taken after fixing a criterion by the party's Parliamentary Board. This issue is yet to be considered."
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- 2 Indians Die Every Minute Due to Air Pollution: Study
- Soon, Passport Can Be Applied At Post Offices
- NGT Slaps Rs 10Lakh Fine On Noida-Based Water Bottling Unit
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Jet Airways Restores Contact With ATC After German Authorites Send Fighter Jets for Fear Of Hijack
- 61.16 Per Cent Turnout in UP Phase-3: Polling Peaceful
- People Will Take Revenge on BJP For Note Ban: Rahul, Akhilesh
- Ravi Shankar Prasad Dares Congress, SP, BSP to Clarify Stand on Triple Talaq
- UP Polls: Over 55 Per Cent Turnout Till 4 PM
- Mulayam Clarifies No Rift In SP, Confident Akhilesh Will Be CM
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED