Naxal Gunned Down in Encounter in Chhattisgarh
A naxal was today gunned down in an encounter with security forces in Chhattisgarh’s insurgency-hit Sukma district, police said.
The face-off took place during a combing operation near restive Birabhati forests under Bhejji police station limits, Sukma Superintendent of Police D Shrawan told PTI.
A joint team of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), Cobra (Combat Battalion for Resolute Action), a specialised unit of CRPF and district force was carrying out search operations in the Bhejji region of south Bastar, around 500 kms from Raipur, Shrawan said.
When they reached Birabhati and Jaggawaram forests, rebels opened indiscriminate firing on them following which they retaliated.
After a fierce gun-battle, the ultras retreated to the core area of the forest.
Later in searches, body of a slain naxal in uniform and a SLR rifle was recovered from the spot, he said.
The identity of the killed naxal is yet to be ascertained, he said adding his body was being retrieved from the forests.
- Eminent Writer Mahasweta Devi Dies at 90
- Why Is Dal So Expensive, Rahul Asks Modi
- Rajnath to Raise Pak-Sponsored Terror, No Bilateral With Pak Counterpart
- Assam: Flood Situation Grim, Sonowal Visits Majuli Island
- Javadekar Meets RSS, Its Affiliates, Discusses New Education Policy
- Obama Passes Baton to Clinton, Says No One More Qualified
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Bring More Experts to Government, Says NITI Aayog
- Male Prostitution Prevalent in Goa Prisons: Rane
- Ajmer Dargah Spiritual Head Asks Muslims to Protect Cows
- UP: Dalit Couple Hacked to Death Over Rs 15
- Phagwara Clashes: Security of Six Leaders Downsized
- Defamation Cases Should Not be Used As a Political Weapon: SC
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED