Nawaz Sharif Is the Elected Leader of Pakistan: US
The US has said it opposes any efforts to impose "extra-constitutional change" to the democratic system in Pakistan and supports Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif as the elected leader of the country.
Asked whether the US still supports Sharif and what message it has for Imran Khan and other demonstrators, State Department Deputy Spokesperson Marie Harf told reporters, "Yes, we still do. He (Sharif) is the elected leader. We've said that repeatedly, and we've been carefully monitoring the demonstrations in Islamabad."
"We've consistently said that the US encourages all the parties to work together to resolve their differences through dialogue also, though, oppose any efforts to impose extra-constitutional change to the democratic system," Harf said.
Harf said the US was monitoring the situation in Pakistan.
"We have said that Nawaz Sharif is the elected leader of Pakistan," Harf said when asked about allegations made by Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) chief Imran Khan that the 2013 election in the country was rigged.
Khan wants the ruling PML-N government's ouster over alleged rigging in last year's polls which his party lost, while Canada-based cleric Tahir-ul-Qadri of Pakistan Awami Tehreek (PAT) wants to bring a revolution in the country. Both the leaders are agitating since August 14.
Both the protesting groups are seeking re-elections and the resignation of Prime Minister Sharif.
In its 67-year history, Pakistan has witnessed three coups, including one against Sharif in 1999 by the then army chief General Parvez Musharraf.
The army, which has so far been passive in the confrontation between the government and protesters, has a history of capturing power from democratically elected governments.
- CBSE Announces Class 12 Exam Results, Topper Scores 99.6%
- Curfew In Srinagar Day After Bhat Killed
- Police Reveal Photos Of Manchester Bomber
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10