Navy Commissions Three Immediate Support Vehicles
In a bid to strengthen maritime security, the Indian Navy today commissioned three Immediate Support Vessels (ISVs) constituting the 83rd ISV Squadron at the naval dockyard of the Eastern Naval Command here.
The exercise is the part of a plan to induct a total of 23 ISVs in the Navy including nine in the Eastern Naval Command.
"The ISVs -- T-35, T-36 and T-37 -- were sorely required and were in the pipeline for a while. These will prove very useful for maintaining coastal security in the eastern seaboard especially that there is an increase in installations conducting oil and natural gas exploration activities in the region," Vice Admiral Anil Chopra, the Flag Officer Commanding-in-chief of ENC, said during commissioning of the ships.
The ISVs have been designed and built by the Abu Dhabi Ship Builders (ADSB) and Rodman 78, Spain and the project was a joint collaboration between Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) Ltd, ADSB and the Indian Navy.
"The ISVs were brought to Mumbai first for acceptance and after that they travelled 1,200 nautical miles from Mumbai to Visakhapatnam for 14 days before getting commissioned at the Eastern Naval command," he said, adding that the ISVs proved their sturdiness as they crossed successfully the Strait of Malacca facing strong winds at high seas.
The ISVs are fitted with two caterpillar engines of 1600 HP each to provide water jet propulsion which provides the vessels a high speed of 40 knots and an endurance of 500 nautical miles.
"The crafts are capable of carrying out day and night surveillance and can be used for rapid insertions/extraction of MARCOS for military interventions," Chopra said.
- DMK Objects to Jayalalithaa's Portraits
- 'I Am Not Scared Of ABVP', DU Student And Kargil Martyr's Daughter's Facebook Post Goes Viral Sends Strong Message To ABVP
- 'Delhi Police Has Become Agent of BJP'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Censor Board Responsible for Preserving India's Culture: Pahlaj Nihalani
- Ramjas Violence: College Forms Panel to Probe Students' Role
- 'Rs 10 Lakh Each Paid To 141 Families Of Manual Scavengers': TN Govt Tells Madras HC
- China's Bad Loans In 2016 Came Up To A Whopping USD 220 Billion
- Donkeys, Pigeons And Even Kasab: Morsels Of Madness From Uttar Pradesh
- DCW Orders Probe into Alleged Attacks on Women by Cops at DU
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rahul Gandhi Says He Has Information Of PM Modi's Personal Corruption
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Demonetisation Advisers Need Elementary Course In Economics Says Chidambaram
- 52 Killed, Over 100 Injured in Sufi Shrine Blast in Pak's Balochistan