Navy Commissions Three Immediate Support Vehicles
In a bid to strengthen maritime security, the Indian Navy today commissioned three Immediate Support Vessels (ISVs) constituting the 83rd ISV Squadron at the naval dockyard of the Eastern Naval Command here.
The exercise is the part of a plan to induct a total of 23 ISVs in the Navy including nine in the Eastern Naval Command.
"The ISVs -- T-35, T-36 and T-37 -- were sorely required and were in the pipeline for a while. These will prove very useful for maintaining coastal security in the eastern seaboard especially that there is an increase in installations conducting oil and natural gas exploration activities in the region," Vice Admiral Anil Chopra, the Flag Officer Commanding-in-chief of ENC, said during commissioning of the ships.
The ISVs have been designed and built by the Abu Dhabi Ship Builders (ADSB) and Rodman 78, Spain and the project was a joint collaboration between Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) Ltd, ADSB and the Indian Navy.
"The ISVs were brought to Mumbai first for acceptance and after that they travelled 1,200 nautical miles from Mumbai to Visakhapatnam for 14 days before getting commissioned at the Eastern Naval command," he said, adding that the ISVs proved their sturdiness as they crossed successfully the Strait of Malacca facing strong winds at high seas.
The ISVs are fitted with two caterpillar engines of 1600 HP each to provide water jet propulsion which provides the vessels a high speed of 40 knots and an endurance of 500 nautical miles.
"The crafts are capable of carrying out day and night surveillance and can be used for rapid insertions/extraction of MARCOS for military interventions," Chopra said.
FROM OUTLOOKdiu: released childrenTheir boats having strayed into alien waters, these Diu boys landed in Pak jails. Now they're home....more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBREPORTAGEThe two Italian Marines—Massimiliano Lattoremore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESWith terrorists using the sea route to attack Mumbmore from WIRES>>>
- Magnitude 6.1 Quake Rattles Rome, Central Italy
- One Dead, Dozens Wounded in Thai Deep South Car Bomb: Police
- N Korea Test Fires Sub-Launched Missile
- Nationalism is the Identity of BJP: Narendra Modi
- Pakistan-Not-Hell Remark Lands Kannada Actor in Sedition Net?
- Gujarat: 50 Cong MLAs Suspended From Assembly, Ruckus Over Una Incident
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Anil Arora, Mr. Bookworm, R.I.P.
- Washington State Declares Emergency Due to Wildfires
- Sensex Regains 28K Level, Up 118 Pts in Early Trade
- Deepika on Forbes' List of World's Highest Paid Actresses
- Rupee Down 9 Paise Against Dollar in Early Trade
- Delhi CM, Home Min to Attend Mother Teresa's Sainthood Ceremony in Vatican
- UP: Vehicle Carrying 'Beef' Set on Fire
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED