Navy Commissions Three Immediate Support Vehicles
In a bid to strengthen maritime security, the Indian Navy today commissioned three Immediate Support Vessels (ISVs) constituting the 83rd ISV Squadron at the naval dockyard of the Eastern Naval Command here.
The exercise is the part of a plan to induct a total of 23 ISVs in the Navy including nine in the Eastern Naval Command.
"The ISVs -- T-35, T-36 and T-37 -- were sorely required and were in the pipeline for a while. These will prove very useful for maintaining coastal security in the eastern seaboard especially that there is an increase in installations conducting oil and natural gas exploration activities in the region," Vice Admiral Anil Chopra, the Flag Officer Commanding-in-chief of ENC, said during commissioning of the ships.
The ISVs have been designed and built by the Abu Dhabi Ship Builders (ADSB) and Rodman 78, Spain and the project was a joint collaboration between Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) Ltd, ADSB and the Indian Navy.
"The ISVs were brought to Mumbai first for acceptance and after that they travelled 1,200 nautical miles from Mumbai to Visakhapatnam for 14 days before getting commissioned at the Eastern Naval command," he said, adding that the ISVs proved their sturdiness as they crossed successfully the Strait of Malacca facing strong winds at high seas.
The ISVs are fitted with two caterpillar engines of 1600 HP each to provide water jet propulsion which provides the vessels a high speed of 40 knots and an endurance of 500 nautical miles.
"The crafts are capable of carrying out day and night surveillance and can be used for rapid insertions/extraction of MARCOS for military interventions," Chopra said.
FROM OUTLOOKdiu: released childrenTheir boats having strayed into alien waters, these Diu boys landed in Pak jails. Now they're home....more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBREPORTAGEThe two Italian Marines—Massimiliano Lattoremore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESWith terrorists using the sea route to attack Mumbmore from WIRES>>>
- Cabinet Drops 1% Additional Tax From GST Bill
- RBI Slaps Rs 27-Cr Penalty on 13 Banks for FEMA Violations
- SC Critical of Magistrate Ordering Probe in Rahul Defamation Case
- Modi May Get Me Killed as Well: Kejriwal
- Sharif Describes Kashmir As 'Unfinished Agenda' of UN
- Key Witness Says Salman Khan Killed the Chinkara
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- BJP Objects to Digvijay's Tweets to His Partymen in Assembly
- Four Una Dalit Victims Admitted to Hospital Again
- Local Muslims Stayed Away From Kalam Statue Function: Ulemas
- Police Declares Eight Puri Temple Servitors As 'Absconders'
- Bharti Airtel Q1 Profit Dips 31% to Rs 1,462 Cr
- Chance for Reformation Has to be Given to Young Offenders: SC
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED