Navy Commissions Three Immediate Support Vehicles
In a bid to strengthen maritime security, the Indian Navy today commissioned three Immediate Support Vessels (ISVs) constituting the 83rd ISV Squadron at the naval dockyard of the Eastern Naval Command here.
The exercise is the part of a plan to induct a total of 23 ISVs in the Navy including nine in the Eastern Naval Command.
"The ISVs -- T-35, T-36 and T-37 -- were sorely required and were in the pipeline for a while. These will prove very useful for maintaining coastal security in the eastern seaboard especially that there is an increase in installations conducting oil and natural gas exploration activities in the region," Vice Admiral Anil Chopra, the Flag Officer Commanding-in-chief of ENC, said during commissioning of the ships.
The ISVs have been designed and built by the Abu Dhabi Ship Builders (ADSB) and Rodman 78, Spain and the project was a joint collaboration between Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) Ltd, ADSB and the Indian Navy.
"The ISVs were brought to Mumbai first for acceptance and after that they travelled 1,200 nautical miles from Mumbai to Visakhapatnam for 14 days before getting commissioned at the Eastern Naval command," he said, adding that the ISVs proved their sturdiness as they crossed successfully the Strait of Malacca facing strong winds at high seas.
The ISVs are fitted with two caterpillar engines of 1600 HP each to provide water jet propulsion which provides the vessels a high speed of 40 knots and an endurance of 500 nautical miles.
"The crafts are capable of carrying out day and night surveillance and can be used for rapid insertions/extraction of MARCOS for military interventions," Chopra said.
- CBSE Announces Class 12 Exam Results, Topper Scores 99.6%
- Curfew In Srinagar Day After Bhat Killed
- Police Reveal Photos Of Manchester Bomber
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10