Natwar's 'Pique and Antagonism' Against Gandhis On Display: Cong
Hitting back at Natwar Singh, Congress today said his "pique and antagonism" against the Gandhi family were on display because he was asked to resign from the Cabinet in the wake of the Volcker report on Iraqi food-for-oil scam.
Party spokesman Abhishek Singhvi told reporters that the Volcker report had concluded that “ Singh’s family were non-contractual (corrupt) beneficiaries" of the Iraqi oil-for- food programmes”.
Singhvi dwelt at length at the AICC briefing on the food-for-oil scam involving Singh to highlight the former Union Minister's "pique and the underlying antagonism" against the Congress leadership, which, he said is the "subtext" of his proposed book.
Noting that Congress could understand the attitude of Singh, he wondered what was the alternative with the UPA-I government and with Congress party in the light of what has been written in the Volcker Report.
He said the UPA-I government and Congress took an "uncompromising stand and it was a clearly principled stand when Natwar Singh was asked to resign from the Council of Ministers and of course later from CWC."
Both the government and the party had "no option but to take serious cognizance of the extremely serious findings of the so-called Volcker committee to investigate the so-called UN oil-for-food programme."
He said the Volcker committee report said on 27.10.2005 that “ Natwar Singh’s family were non-contractual (corrupt) beneficiaries of the oil-for-food programmes”.
The Justice R S Pathak Committee, which later went into the matter, found it to be "entirely an individual enterprise and adventure of Mr Natwar Singh and family. And there was therefore no option but to take the action that was taken".
FROM OUTLOOKCongressAs the elections approach, expectations are high in the Congress that the Gandhi bahu will give a call...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBPoliticsFormer Uttar Pradesh Congress President Rita Bahugmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, July 23 (pti) Mohan Prakash, former genmore from WIRES>>>
- My Party and My Family Are United: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Tata-Mistry Tussle Heads to the Courts As Tatas File Caveats in SC, HC, NCLT
- Yashwant Sinha Led Delegation Meets Hurriyat Leader Geelani to Break Kashmir Impasse
- Six Members of a Family Injured in Pak Shelling in Jammu
- SC Directs Vijay Mallya to Disclose His Foreign Assets in Four Weeks
- Delhi: One Person Killed In Blast At Naya Bazar, Rajnath Calls Delhi CP
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- E-Ballot Facility for Service Voters Gets Govt Nod: CEC
- Snatch Tribal Rights, Face Action, Warns PM
- 300-Year-Old British Coin, One of Only 20 Ever Minted, Found in 4-Year-Old's Treasure Chest
- Muslim Community Must Seriously Ponder Over Triple Talaq: RSS
- Rename HRD Ministry as Education Ministry: Sisodia to Javadekar
- Saudi Man Dumps Bride for Sharing Pictures on Snapchat Just 2 Hrs After Wedding
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman Of Tata Sons, Ratan Tata To Hold Interim Position
- Ratan Tata: 'I Think Everybody Knows Where The Intolerance Is Coming From...'
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia