Naipaul Launches Chinese Edition of A Bend in the River
On his first visit to China, Nobel laureate V S Naipaul has launched the Chinese edition of his celebrated novel A Bend in the River.
The Trinidad-born British writer is in China to attend the ongoing annual Shanghai Book Fair, a major cultural highlight besides series of literature events.
A Bend in the River, a 1979 novel set in an unnamed, newly-independent African country, was ranked 83rd on the Modern Library's list of the 100 best English novels of the 20th century in 1998.
The Chinese edition of the book, published by Nanhai Publishing Co based in the southern island province of Hainan, is ready for orders at major online bookstores including Amazon.Cn and Dangdang.Com, but readers still need to wait for two to three days for delivery, a Xinhua news agency report said.
Asked whether he was planning to write a book on China, the Indian-origin author, who won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 2001, told media on Monday that he does not have the "experience and wisdom" to do so.
"China is an enormous country," he said.
Accompanied by his wife Nadira Naipaul, the author will stay in China for a week. He will also spend his 82nd birthday in China, on August 17.
Naipaul is known in China for his trilogy books about visits to India and A House for Mr Biswas, which is set in his native country, Trinidad.
FROM OUTLOOKchildren: mythologyMythology meets cartoons in an explosion that’s entertaining, edifying, commercial...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBInterviewMargaret Alva is a former parliamentarian who hasmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESPatna, Nov 8 (PTI) The Bihar government would provmore from WIRES>>>
- Patient Shoots Doctor at Berlin Hospital, Kills Self: Police
- Irom Sharmila to Call Off Hunger Strike After 16 Years
- Devas-Antrix Deal: India Loses Arbitration Case at the Hague
- Four Militants Killed, Another Apprehended in Kupwara
- Flipkart Acquires Jabong From Global Fashion Group
- Mass Attack Bid Foiled in Bangladesh, Nine Militants Killed
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- India Seeks Greater Security Cooperation With Bangladesh
- Unidentified Gunmen Kill Two Soldiers in Pak
- South Sudan President Replaces Rival as Vice President
- Govt Must Protect Central Bank's Independence: Rajan
- Cong Creates Ruckus in RS Over Andhra Special Package Issue
- Expert Team Formed to Explore Alternatives to Pellet Guns
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED