Muslim Preacher Apologises for Insulting Hinduism
An Islamic preacher of Indian-origin, accused of insulting Hinduism in Malaysia five years ago, apologised today for his remarks following protests from the Hindu community in this Muslim majority nation.
Ustaz Shahul Hamid Mohammed, 39, had allegedly told Muslims not to buy curry powder products from what he deemed as "Hindu" companies.
The video of his remarks inside a prayer room went viral early this week, triggering protests from Hindu groups which demanded action against the preacher.
"I openly apologise in front of everyone, especially to the Indian community and all parties involved over my words during a speech I made which was considered offensive and insulting to the feelings of the Indian community," Muhammad said.
"I realise that I too, as an Indian, and someone who has origins in India, should not have insulted the beliefs of Hindus in front of everyone. I did not intend to offend and insult and did not mean to incite racial tension. I was only trying to attract the attention of my listeners at the event," he added.
"However, my ceramah (meeting) was recorded and uploaded without my knowledge and consent by other individuals," the preacher said.
Shahul Hamid is a member of the islamic fundamentalist opposition Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party. He expressed regret over his words and promised that such incidents would not be repeated in the future.
He also said that he was willing to meet with leaders from the Indian community to apologise for his behaviour.
The preacher also had made fun of a drishti bomma,(a squarish metal plate with a painted idol to ward off evil eye) placed at the entrance of an Indian Flour Mills near Permatang Pauh.
Malaysia's 26 million population has eight per cent ethnic Indians of which majority are Hindus. Meanwhile, Muhammad reported to the Bukit Mertajam police station today to record his statement over the issue.
- Eminent Writer Mahasweta Devi Dies at 90
- Why Is Dal So Expensive, Rahul Asks Modi
- Rajnath to Raise Pak-Sponsored Terror, No Bilateral With Pak Counterpart
- Assam: Flood Situation Grim, Sonowal Visits Majuli Island
- Javadekar Meets RSS, Its Affiliates, Discusses New Education Policy
- Obama Passes Baton to Clinton, Says No One More Qualified
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Bring More Experts to Government, Says NITI Aayog
- Male Prostitution Prevalent in Goa Prisons: Rane
- Ajmer Dargah Spiritual Head Asks Muslims to Protect Cows
- UP: Dalit Couple Hacked to Death Over Rs 15
- Phagwara Clashes: Security of Six Leaders Downsized
- Defamation Cases Should Not be Used As a Political Weapon: SC
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED