Mumbai: 1 Killed in Landslide, MeT Forecasts Heavy Rains
A six-year-old boy was today killed in a landslide at suburban Chembur following heavy rainfall lashing the city for last 48 hours, a civic official said.
The boy, a resident of Mahul village near Vashi Naka in Chembur East, was killed this morning when the hut in which he was sleeping was destroyed in a landslide that occurred in the area, an official of the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) said.
The deceased has been identified as Ganesh Kumar Korade, he said.
There were around six hutments of slum dwellers in the area which were destroyed in the mishap. The victims have been shifted to nearby areas by fire officials, he said.
Meanwhile, a fresh alert of "very heavy rainfall" in the city during the next 48 hours has been issued by the India Meteorological Department's regional centre here.
"Mumbai and parts of the neighbouring Thane district along with the Konkan region may witness very heavy rainfall in the next 48 hours. Since this coincides with the high tide timings, there might be incidents of flooding," said V K Rajeev, Director, weather forecasting of MeT department here.
According to MeT, the southern part of city received 66.7 mm rainfall, while north Mumbai got 174.7 mm downpour in the 48-hour period till 8.30 am today.
- Forced to Marry Pak Man, Uzma Returns, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- HRD Minister Assures To Declare CBSE Results On Time
- Maharashtra CM Escapes Unhurt After His Helicopter Crash Lands In Latur
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10