MP: Ten Pilgrims Killed in Stampede at Kamtanath Temple
Ten pilgrims, including six women, were killed in a stampede early today at Kamtanath Pahad Temple, about 80 kms from Satna district headquarters, when a large number of people had gathered for some rituals.
The exact number of those injured was yet to be ascertained, a senior official said. Earlier it was reported that over 60 people suffered injuries in the mishap.
State Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has ordered a judicial probe into the accident.
A large number of devotees had gathered at the temple on the occasion of 'Somwati Amavasya' when the mishap occurred during the circumambulation of the Kamtanath Pahad (mountain).
"Ten people were killed in the stampede," District Collector M L Meena said.
Devotees, mostly women, encircle the mountain by lying and rolling on the path for worship. The presence of a large crowd resulted in the stampede in the area leaving 10 people dead, he said.
Chouhan has announced an ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakh each to the kin of those killed in the stampede; Rs 50,000 to the seriously injured and Rs 10,000 to those who suffered minor injuries.
The exact number of people injured in the stampede will be known later, as Collector and other senior officials have rushed to the spot from Satna to take stock of the situation, a state government official said.
- Government Says 'No' To India-Pakistan Cricket Series
- CISE Declares Class 12 Results, Topper Gets 99.5%
- Delhi Man Killed For Objecting To Public Urination
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10