MP: Ten Pilgrims Killed in Stampede at Kamtanath Temple
Ten pilgrims, including six women, were killed in a stampede early today at Kamtanath Pahad Temple, about 80 kms from Satna district headquarters, when a large number of people had gathered for some rituals.
The exact number of those injured was yet to be ascertained, a senior official said. Earlier it was reported that over 60 people suffered injuries in the mishap.
State Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has ordered a judicial probe into the accident.
A large number of devotees had gathered at the temple on the occasion of 'Somwati Amavasya' when the mishap occurred during the circumambulation of the Kamtanath Pahad (mountain).
"Ten people were killed in the stampede," District Collector M L Meena said.
Devotees, mostly women, encircle the mountain by lying and rolling on the path for worship. The presence of a large crowd resulted in the stampede in the area leaving 10 people dead, he said.
Chouhan has announced an ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakh each to the kin of those killed in the stampede; Rs 50,000 to the seriously injured and Rs 10,000 to those who suffered minor injuries.
The exact number of people injured in the stampede will be known later, as Collector and other senior officials have rushed to the spot from Satna to take stock of the situation, a state government official said.
FROM OUTLOOKLifestylePronto pujas and instant mantras speed the new age priest on his way to the NRI faithful...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinion"Anyone can worship a God or Goddess. You have strmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESRound-the-clock police patrolling around the famoumore from WIRES>>>
- MHA Lodges FIR in Ishrat Jahan Missing Files Case
- Controversy Shrouds Akhilesh Yadav's Sept 26 Ministry Expansion
- Only Through Peace and Harmony Can Problems Be Resolved: PM
- Now, Uber, Ola Start Taxi Services for Govt Officers
- J&K: Curfew Imposed in Kishtwar Town
- Police Capture Gunman in US Mall Shooting That Killed Five
- US Bans Many Soaps With Harmful Chemicals, Indians Too at Health Risk
- 6-Year-Old Boy Wonder Cooks Kerala's Puttu for US Audience on Ellen Show
- Bound By Chain Great Dane Starved To Death
- Sons, Brothers And The Samajwadi
- What Power Hath a Mosquito? Let Delhi Tell You
- Let Your Kids Cuddle Modi To Sleep
- Shooting in Baltimore, Eight People Injured
- China: 12 Killed, Over 30 Injured in Bus-Truck Collision
- Bangladesh to Erect Barbed Wire Fence on Indo-Bangla Border
- Long War Has Been Forced on India by Pakistan: Amit Shah
- Doctors Divided Over Debate on Chikungunya Deaths in Delhi
- Fresh Petition in SC Against Grant of Bail to Shahabuddin
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED