MP: Ten Pilgrims Killed in Stampede at Kamtanath Temple
Ten pilgrims, including six women, were killed in a stampede early today at Kamtanath Pahad Temple, about 80 kms from Satna district headquarters, when a large number of people had gathered for some rituals.
The exact number of those injured was yet to be ascertained, a senior official said. Earlier it was reported that over 60 people suffered injuries in the mishap.
State Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has ordered a judicial probe into the accident.
A large number of devotees had gathered at the temple on the occasion of 'Somwati Amavasya' when the mishap occurred during the circumambulation of the Kamtanath Pahad (mountain).
"Ten people were killed in the stampede," District Collector M L Meena said.
Devotees, mostly women, encircle the mountain by lying and rolling on the path for worship. The presence of a large crowd resulted in the stampede in the area leaving 10 people dead, he said.
Chouhan has announced an ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakh each to the kin of those killed in the stampede; Rs 50,000 to the seriously injured and Rs 10,000 to those who suffered minor injuries.
The exact number of people injured in the stampede will be known later, as Collector and other senior officials have rushed to the spot from Satna to take stock of the situation, a state government official said.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Hafiz Saeed A Serious Threat To Nation: Pak's Defence Minister
- CBI Searches Former Chief A.P. Singh's Residence
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- CBI Arrests IRS Officer For Bribery In IPL-Betting Scam
- Cong Promises to Strive for Removal of AFSPA If Voted Back to Power
- Indefinite Bandh Called Off In Nagaland
- At Least 6 Killed, 14 Injured In Suicide Blast Outside Pakistan Court
- Trump Picks Lt Gen McMaster As New National Security Advisor
- BSF Foils Infiltration Bid Along LoC, Militant Killed
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Wary Of Indian Space-Tech, China Plans On Fast-Tracking Its Rocket Launches
- 'He Would Put His Fingers Inside Me, Move My Leg Around': US Gymnasts Accuse Former Team Doctor
- Stockholm-Based Think-Tank Says India Was The World's Largest Arms Importer In The Past Five Years
- Woman Allegedly Raped Near South Delhi's Hauz Khas Village