More Than 9,100 HIV Positive Patients in Assam: Min
Over 9,100 people in Assam have been detected with HIV positive virus at present, the state Assembly was informed today.
Replying to a query by AIUDF MLA Swapan Kar, state Parliamentary Affairs minister Nilamani Sen Deka said the state has 9,110 people with HIV positive cases as on March 31, 2014.
Deka, who replied on behalf of Health and Family Welfare minister Nazrul Islam, said Kamrup Metro district, which mostly comprise the Guwahati city, tops the list with 3,570 affected persons.
It is followed by Cachar district with 1,866 victims, he said.
Some other districts with high numbers of affected people are Dibrugarh (630), Nagaon (418), Golaghat (304), Karimganj (272), Sonitpur (252), Bongaigaon (228), Karbi Anglong (207) and Jorhat (207).
Deka said Chirang district does not have a single case of HIV case so far.
The districts with comparatively lower number of HIV patients are Baksa (11), Udalguri (22), Hailakandi (23), Dhemaji (39), Morigaon (50), Lakhimpur (57), Dima Hasao (59), Nalbari (65), Darrang (66), Sivasagar (70), Kamrup Rural (86) and Goalpara (93).
Kokrajhar, Barpeta, Tinsukia and Dhubri districts currently have 150, 127, 124 and 114 HIV positive patients respectively.
The minister informed the House that Assam State AIDS Control Society is implementing the National AIDS Control Programme as per the Department of AIDS Control's strategic plan to prevent spread of the disease.
Talking about Japanese Encephalitis, Deka said 122 people have lost their lives till August 6 this year across the state.
"Also six persons have died this year in Malaria," he added.
In a separate written question by AIUDF MLA Gul Akhtara Begum, Islam said a total of 1,567 persons have been affected by Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES) this year till August 6.
The figure includes 606 victims of Japanese Encephalitis (JE), he said.
Along with the 122 deaths in JE, 266 persons have died due to AES till date, Islam said.
There are 13 laboratories at present in 12 districts and the government plans to have facilities to detect the virus in the rest 15 districts within this month, he added.
The government also has an overall stock of 75,440 doses of JE vaccines in the state, Islam said.
- Indian Origin Punjabi Bus Driver Burnt to Death in Australia
- SC Dismisses Petition, Says Armed Forces Answerable To Government
- Fifteen Pakistan Rangers Killed In BSF's Retaliatory Fire In The Past Week
- Judges Selection: SC Slams Centre for Bringing Courts to a Grinding Halt
- US Charges 61 People in Multi-Million Dollar Indian Call Center Scam
- Pak Violates Ceasefire Along LoC in Jammu, Rajouri, Kathua, Girl Injured
- Daily Curator: While India Plays Spy-Spy With Pakistan, China Issues Gentle Reminder
- Watch: Donald Trump Pulls Out All The Stops With 'Ab Ki Baar, Trump Sarkar'
- Daily Curator: What Happens In Family May Not Stay So
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Goa's First Woman CM Shashikala Kakodkar Dies at 81
- Mirwaiz Taken Into Custody for Taking Out Protest March
- BSP Will Probe Akhilesh's 'Big' Economic Decisions: Mayawati
- Home Ministry Says Pakistan 'Spy' Was Gathering Intel For Terror Strike
- Separatists Against Education, Using Children as Cannon Fodder: Mehbooba
- Poop Falls From Sky On Residents Close To IGI, NGT Orders Inspection
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED