More Than 180,000 Killed in Syrian Conflict: NGO
More than 180,000 people have been killed in Syria since the conflict broke out in March 2011, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said in a new toll published today.
The Britain-based monitoring group, which relies on a network of sources on the ground, said it had documented the deaths of 180,215 people.
Among them were 58,805 civilians, including 9,428 children and 6,036 women.
The group said 49,699 members of the armed opposition had been killed, among them fighters from jihadist groups like Al-Qaeda affiliate Al-Nusra Front and the Islamic State. It did not break the figures down further.
The new toll includes 66,365 regime forces -- 40,438 from the military, and 25,927 members of a pro-regime militia.
The Observatory also documented the deaths of 561 members of Lebanon's Hezbollah movement, which is fighting alongside the regime, and 1,854 other non-Syrian pro-regime fighters.
The toll also includes 2,931 unidentified people whose deaths the Observatory has confirmed without being able to record their identities.
The conflict in Syria erupted in March 2011, with peaceful anti-government protests that the authorities responded to with force.
- Amma's Niece Deepa Launches Political Forum
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- On Jayalalithaa's 69th Birth Anniversary, Niece Deepa Launches 'MGR AMMA Deepa Forum'
- Labourers In Haryana To Get Breakfast For Rs 5, Full Meal For Rs 10
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Man Sitting On Indefinite Hunger Strike Gets Married At The Protest Site
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Female Intruder From Pakistan Shot Dead, Another Arrested By The BSF
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman