Money Laundering: ED Attaches Rs 232cr Worth Assets of Jagan, Others
Enforcement Directorate (ED) has attached assets worth over Rs 232 crore in connection with its money laundering probe against YSR Congress chief Jagan Mohan Reddy and former BCCI top boss N Srinivasan in the alleged quid—pro—quo and illegal investments case between the business entities of the two and few others.
The agency has registered a criminal case under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) to probe alleged bribes paid by Srinivasan, also the Managing Director of Ms India Cements Limited, to Reddy as "quid-pro-quo for undue favours received by his company from the government of Andhra Pradesh" when Jagan's father YS Rajasekhara Reddy was the state Chief Minister.
ED, in the latest order, attached a number of land plots of Ms Janani Infrastructure Limited (firm owned by Jagan) and those of India Cements in Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka along with fixed deposits and shares.
The investigating agency, sources said, has gone through the CBI FIR and charge- sheet filed in this case earlier. Both ED and CBI are probing this case and others associated with Jagan, parallely for over three years now.
"The total value of attached assets is Rs 232.38 crore," the order, issued late yesterday evening by the zonal office of the agency here, said.
The agency's probe found, according to the attachment order, that firms of the accused like Ms Carmel Asia Holdings Private Limited, Ms Jagati Publication Limited, Ms Bharati Cement Corporation Private Limited and Ms Indian Cements Limited which "laundered the proceeds of crime in the form of investments."
The CBI charge sheet in this case, filed in 2013, said India Cements made alleged quid-pro-quo investments to the tune of Rs 140 crore into Jagan-owned companies and consequent "undue" benefits were received by the firm in allocation of land and water from rivers Krishna and Kagna from the then Andhra Pradesh Government led by his Chief Minister father.
ED has already attached assets worth over Rs 1,000 crore in the overall PMLA cases it is probing against Jagan, senior government officials of Andhra Pradesh and businessmen.
An attachment order under PMLA can be challenged at the Adjudicating Authority of the Act within 180 days and the action is aimed at depriving the accused from deriving gains from his or her illegally acquired wealth.
- Dhinakaran Case: Delhi Police Quiz Men On Cash Trail Trajectory
- 30 Farmers Committed Suicide in 2016-17: TN Govt
- Male Chauvinism Can't Be: SC
- Global Press Freedom At 13-Year Low: Survey
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Hindu Temple Vandalised In Pakistan, Says Report
- Key Suspect Of Jayalalithaa's Driver Murder Case Killed
- Don't Politicise Triple Talaq, Urges Prime Minister Modi
- Google CEO Sundar Pichai Received Nearly Rs 1285 Crore As Salary Last Year
- Amid Protests Over Temple 'Desecration', JK Govt Says Property 'Intact'
- Twitter Account Hacked, Someone Sharing Anti-Hazare Post, Claims Manish Sisodia
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Groom Refuses To Marry After Seeing Only Vegetarian Dishes Being Served At Wedding
- 'Keep Phones On Recording Mode', 'Don't Fall Into BJP's Trap': Kejriwal Tells AAP Councillors
- Ready to Talk to Political Parties in Kashmir To Resolve Crisis But Not With Separatists: Govt Tells SC
- Out On Bail In Malegaon Blast Case, Sadhvi Pragya Says She's a Victim of Chidambaram's 'Saffron Terrorism' Bogey
- Prepare for 'Movement' If Exit Poll Results Come True, Says Kejriwal
- Sukhma Naxal Ambush Is An Act Of Cowardice, Says HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar
- Naxals Using Tribals As Human Shield, Govt to Review Anti-Naxal Strategy: Rajnath Singh
- 'Hafiz Saeed Not A Terrorist,' Pervez Musharraf Denies His Involvement in Mumbai Attacks