Molestation Cases Being Viewed 'Seriously': Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah
With the recent spate of alleged molestation cases here triggering national outrage, Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah today said the incidents were being viewed seriously and protecting the dignity of women is his government's top priority.
"The recent unpleasant incidents in Bengaluru concerning assaults on women have been viewed very seriously and our government is committed to bringing to book the perpetrators of these kinds of heinous crimes," Siddaramaiah said.
"Ensuring safety and protecting the dignity of women remains our topmost priority. Effective steps are being taken to increase the rate of conviction in such cases," he said.
Siddaramaiah was speaking at the inauguration of Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Convention here that was attended by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Portugal Prime Minister Antonio Costa and Suriname Vice President Michael Ashwin Adhin, besides several Chief Ministers.
The Chief Minister's statement comes following recent incidents of alleged molestation that have led to public anxiety and anger and raised questions about women's safety in the country's IT capital.
Two motorcycle-borne men allegedly tried to molest a woman while she was returning home from a gym on January four with the incident coming to light yesterday.
A woman was allegedly assaulted near her house early on Friday when a man stalked her while she was headed towards a bus-stop on a deserted road and tried to molest the victim who suffered injuries on her lips, tongue, hand and toes as she tried to resist him.
Another woman was groped and assaulted by two scooter-borne men near her house at Kammanahalli on New Year's eve. Five persons have been arrested in connection with the case.
On New Year's eve, several women were allegedly molested and groped on MG Road and Brigade Road where the revellers had gathered, despite the presence of more than 1,500 police personnel, an incident that triggered national outrage.
- Lucknow's Tunday Kababi Shuts Outlet
- Passengers on Wait List Can Tavel in Rajdhani
- Centre to Scrap 7 Appellate Tribunals
- 400 TMC Members Join BJP in Tripura
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Now is The Time to go Ahead With Ram Temple Construction, Says Shiv Sena
- Delhi's Iconic Regal Cinema to Close From March 31
- After Shiv Sena MP's Slipper Assault, Air India Mulling Preparing No-Fly List for Unruly Passengers
- 'Medical Attention Cannot Wait': HC Directs Protesting Doctors to Resume Work
- Govt Sanctions Rs 5,021 Crore to 10 States Hit by Disasters
- Plea Against Kejriwal: Court Raps Police for Indecisiveness
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Australian Media Calls Kohli 'Donald Trump of World Sport', Amitabh Bachchan Gives It Back
- 'I Can Call Any Of You Any Time': An Unhappy PM Modi Asks BJP MPs To Attend Parliament
- UP CM Adityanath Orders Closure of Slaughter Houses Across the State
- 'Don't Chew Pan, Pan Masala When on Duty,' UP CM Warns Govt Officials