Modi's 'Secular Friends' Jibe 'Shocking, Unbecoming': Cong
Congress today hit out at Prime Minister Narendra Modi for his dig at "secular friends" saying that the comments made on foreign soil was "shocking and ungracious" and had made India a "laughing stock" in Japan.
"Shocking & unbecoming of a Prime Minister to mock secularism on foreign soil, when communal temperatures raised by his own party in India," Congress spokesperson Sanjay Jha said in a tweet.
Not mincing words, he said Modi was "beating the communal drum-beat in Japan" and the "mocking" of a serious issue of secularism is "ungracious, unacceptable, unexpected".
"The ferocious communal cat is out of the bag, officially! PM Modi ridicules secularists in India in Japan. We must be a laughing stock there," he tweeted.
His tweets drew reactions from twitterati in support of the ruling party.
Modi had an audience with Emperor Akihito yesterday at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo on the fourth day of his five-day visit to Japan to strengthen bilateral ties.
Addressing the members of the Indian community at a reception there, Modi said he had carried a copy of the Gita to gift to the Emperor.
"For gifting I brought a Gita. I do not know what will happen in India after this. There may be a TV debate on this.
"Our secular friends will create 'toofan'( storm) that what does Modi think of himself? He has taken a Gita with him that means he has made this one also communal," the Prime Minister had said.
As the remarks were greeted with a round of applause, Modi hastened to add, "Anyway, they should also have their livelihood and if I am not there, then how will they earn their livelihood?"
- ED Issues Fresh Summons to Zakir Naik in Money Laundering Case
- Assault on Kerala Actress Scares Me: Deepika
- Nokia Relaunches Iconic 3310 With Colour Display, Web Features
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Would Have Been Better Had BJP Given Tickets To Muslims In Uttar Pradesh, Says Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- DU Girl Gurmehar Kaur Moves DCW Over 'Rape' Threats From ABVP Members
- ONGC May Acquire India's 3rd Largest Fuel Retailer HPCL For A Whopping Rs 44,000 Crore
- At Least 20 Children Injured After School Bus Overturns In Kanpur
- Commission Says Counterfeiters And Hackers Cost The US Close To 600 Billion A Year
- Academy Issues Apology Over Oscar Best Picture Gaffe
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Delhi Court Acquits 2 In 2005 Serial Blasts, Sentences Third Accused To 10-Year Jail Term
- Govt Plans Chaupals To Link Weaker Sections To Cashless System
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events