Modi Takes a Dig at 'Secular Friends' as He Gifts Gita to Japanese Emperor
Prime Minister Narendra Modi today took a dig at his "secular friends" over his gifting a copy of the holy Hindu text 'Bhagvad Gita' to Japanese Emperor Akihito, saying they could kick up a storm and trigger TV debates back home.
Modi had an audience with Emperor Akihito at the Imperial Palace here on the fourth day of his five-day visit to Japan to strengthen bilateral ties.
Addressing the members of the Indian community at a reception here, Modi spoke of him carrying a copy of the Gita during the Japan visit for gifting it to the Emperor.
"For gifting I brought a Gita. I do not know what will happen in India after this. There may be a TV debate on this.
Our secular friends will create 'toofan'( storm) that what does Modi think of himself? He has taken a Gita with him that means he has made this one also communal," the Prime Minister said.
As his remarks were greeted with a round of applause, Modi hastened to add, "Anyway, they should also have their livelihood and if I am not there then how will they earn their livelihood?"
Modi said he wondered why nowadays small things create controversies.
"I don't know why, but people create controversies even with such trivial things nowadays, but I have my own commitment and my own conviction that if I meet some great person of the world, I will give it(Gita) and that is why I brought it," he said.
At this point he referred to his audience with the Emperor and presenting a copy of the Gita.
Today I went to the Maharaja of Japan, I have given one to him," he said, adding," Because I don't think that I have anything more to give and the world also does not have anything more to get than this.". The remark triggered another round of applause from the assembled gathering.
- Sting Operation: BJP Lodges Complaint Against Odisha CM, BJD MLAs
- GDP Growth Slows Down to 7.1%, Lowest in 6 Quarters
- Bezwada Wilson, T.M. Krishna Receive Ramon Magsaysay Award
- Dhingra Committee Submits 182-Page Report on Haryana Land Deals
- Ola Drivers Gangrape 12-Yr-Old in Kolkata, Kill, Toss Her Body Into Canal
- Let the Late Russian's Family Keep London Silver: Yogeshwar
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Nobel Prize Winner Roger Tsien Dies, Helped Track Cells
- Discussed Wall Not Payment in Meeting With Mexican President: Trump
- Brazil's President Rousseff Ousted From Office by Senate
- Bring Poor, Weaker Sections to Party Fold, Modi Tells BJP's Rajya Sabha MPs
- At Nearly 43%, Muslims Have Highest Per Cent of Illiterates: Census
- Sensex Up 66 Points, Nifty Above 8,800 in Early Trade
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED