Modi Meets Nepal's CPN-Maoist Leader Prachanda
CPN-Maoist leader Prachanda today met Prime Minister Narendra Modi here and expressed confidence that a "new chapter" has begun in Indo-Nepal ties.
Prachanda, who led a decade-long armed movement before joining mainstream politics about seven years back, said he found Modi "very clear" in his mind about supporting the ongoing peace process and economic progress of Nepal.
"We had a very fruitful meeting. A new initiative has begun in relations of India and Nepal. It is really historic," the former Prime Minister of Nepal, who has been a critic of India, said after the meeting with Modi during which the two discussed the current state of bilateral ties and the future.
Noting that Nepal is in a "very delicate phase of transition" in terms of peace process and Constitution-making process, Prachanda said these processes should be completed successfully at the earliest.
"Modiji clearly committed support to Constitution-making and concluding this process...He is very clear in his mind to support Nepal's economic prosperity and political stability. A new chapter has begun. It is really historic," said Prachanda, whose actual name is Pushpa Kamal Dahal.
Prachanda met Modi, the first Indian premier to visit Nepal in 17 years, on the second day of his two-day trip.
Yesterday, while reacting to Modi's address to the Constituent Assembly, Prachanda had hailed the speech as "touching" and said he was visualising the dawn of a new chapter in bilateral ties.
Prachanda said the way Modi spoke demonstrates that he thoroughly understands the "ups and downs" of Nepal's peace process.
"His speech was touching and very inspiring," he had said while commenting on Modi's 45-minute address.
"I feel a new chapter is going to open in India-Nepal relations," said Prachanda. The 60-year-old leader had quit the post of prime minister a few years back following a controversy over sacking of the army chief.
- Burhan Wani's Successor Sabzar Bhat, Killed
- After Rahul, Akhilesh Denied Entry To Saharanpur
- WHO Confirms First Zika Cases From Ahmedabad
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10