Modi Meets Nepal's CPN-Maoist Leader Prachanda
CPN-Maoist leader Prachanda today met Prime Minister Narendra Modi here and expressed confidence that a "new chapter" has begun in Indo-Nepal ties.
Prachanda, who led a decade-long armed movement before joining mainstream politics about seven years back, said he found Modi "very clear" in his mind about supporting the ongoing peace process and economic progress of Nepal.
"We had a very fruitful meeting. A new initiative has begun in relations of India and Nepal. It is really historic," the former Prime Minister of Nepal, who has been a critic of India, said after the meeting with Modi during which the two discussed the current state of bilateral ties and the future.
Noting that Nepal is in a "very delicate phase of transition" in terms of peace process and Constitution-making process, Prachanda said these processes should be completed successfully at the earliest.
"Modiji clearly committed support to Constitution-making and concluding this process...He is very clear in his mind to support Nepal's economic prosperity and political stability. A new chapter has begun. It is really historic," said Prachanda, whose actual name is Pushpa Kamal Dahal.
Prachanda met Modi, the first Indian premier to visit Nepal in 17 years, on the second day of his two-day trip.
Yesterday, while reacting to Modi's address to the Constituent Assembly, Prachanda had hailed the speech as "touching" and said he was visualising the dawn of a new chapter in bilateral ties.
Prachanda said the way Modi spoke demonstrates that he thoroughly understands the "ups and downs" of Nepal's peace process.
"His speech was touching and very inspiring," he had said while commenting on Modi's 45-minute address.
"I feel a new chapter is going to open in India-Nepal relations," said Prachanda. The 60-year-old leader had quit the post of prime minister a few years back following a controversy over sacking of the army chief.
- DMK Objects to Jayalalithaa's Portraits
- 'I Am Not Scared Of ABVP', DU Student And Kargil Martyr's Daughter's Facebook Post Goes Viral Sends Strong Message To ABVP
- 'Delhi Police Has Become Agent of BJP'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Censor Board Responsible for Preserving India's Culture: Pahlaj Nihalani
- Ramjas Violence: College Forms Panel to Probe Students' Role
- 'Rs 10 Lakh Each Paid To 141 Families Of Manual Scavengers': TN Govt Tells Madras HC
- China's Bad Loans In 2016 Came Up To A Whopping USD 220 Billion
- Donkeys, Pigeons And Even Kasab: Morsels Of Madness From Uttar Pradesh
- DCW Orders Probe into Alleged Attacks on Women by Cops at DU
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman