Modi Govt Selling 'Desi' Dreams Via Foreign Route: Sharad Yadav
JD(U) President Sharad Yadav today criticised the BJP-led NDA government for its move to invite foreign investment in a host of key sectors saying there was no difference between this and the previous Congress-led UPA government.
He accused the Narendra Modi Government of "selling dreams" to the people through FDI in sectors like defence, Railways and insurance, an agenda unsuccessfully pushed by the UPA regime.
"The NDA Government is selling dreams through FDI in important sectors like defence, Railways and insurance, which the Congress-led UPA government could not do on its own," Yadav told reporters here.
The Government on Wednesday last approved raising the FDI limit in the defence sector to 49 per cent and opened up the Railway infrastructure segment for foreign direct investment (FDI).
"The UPA Government could not push forward the FDI agenda since it lacked clear majority in Parliament. But the NDA has absolute majority and therefore determined to go ahead with the FDI... Former Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh and his cabinet colleague Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram were keen for FDI in these sectors, but failed in their attempts," said Yadav, whose party was once part of the BJP-led alliance.
Criticising the focus on FDI route, the former Union Minister said, "Mahatma Gandhi fought against the British rule which was preceded by the arrival of the East India Company. But now after 68 years of independence, the same foreign investment is being welcomed."
Yadav said there was hardly any difference between the erstwhile UPA Government and the incumbent NDA on the issue of FDI.
The JD(U) leader noted that in the aviation sector, 62 per cent of the total revenue of Airports Authority of India was generated from Mumbai and Delhi airports. "But now both the airports have been handed over to the private sector," the former Civil Aviation Minister said.
Yadav was here to address a function organised to commemorate the death anniversary of noted Hindi journalist Rajendra Mathur. The event was organised by Maharashtra Rashtrabhasha Sabha and a leading Hindi daily.
FROM OUTLOOKRailwaysLack of funds, poor planning, fare disparity Nitish Kumar wants to rid the Railways of its ills...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBRail DiarySeven of us have either flown in or railroaded tomore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESKolkata, July 23 (PTI) Union Minister of State formore from WIRES>>>
- Patient Shoots Doctor at Berlin Hospital, Kills Self: Police
- Irom Sharmila to Call Off Hunger Strike After 16 Years
- Devas-Antrix Deal: India Loses Arbitration Case at the Hague
- Four Militants Killed, Another Apprehended in Kupwara
- Flipkart Acquires Jabong From Global Fashion Group
- Mass Attack Bid Foiled in Bangladesh, Nine Militants Killed
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- India Seeks Greater Security Cooperation With Bangladesh
- Unidentified Gunmen Kill Two Soldiers in Pak
- South Sudan President Replaces Rival as Vice President
- Govt Must Protect Central Bank's Independence: Rajan
- Cong Creates Ruckus in RS Over Andhra Special Package Issue
- Expert Team Formed to Explore Alternatives to Pellet Guns
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED