Modi Copying Almost Everything From Obama: Amarinder Singh
Senior Congress leader Amarinder Singh today took a dig at Narendra Modi over his planned interaction with school children on Teachers' Day and said the Prime Minister was "indiscriminately trying to copy" US President Barack Obama in almost everything the latter does.
"It is strange Modi shall be addressing students and not the teachers on Teachers' Day," Singh, who is the Congress Deputy Leader in the Lok Sabha, said in a statement here.
He said the US President addressed the students of his country on September 8, 2009 and now "Mr Modi is trying to copy the same".
"He (Modi) is trying to copy Obama in utter haste and hurry," Singh, who represents Amritsar in Lok Sabha, said.
"...Otherwise he should ideally be addressing teachers on Teachers' Day and not the students for whom he could always choose some other occasion," he said.
The Congress leader said like in the US all powers are vested with the President, "Modi is trying to do the same despite India being a parliamentary democracy".
"The way he has assumed all the powers in himself whether deciding on foreign policy matters or those related to the Home Ministry, Modi has already hinted adequately that he wants to function like the head of a Presidential form of a government than like a Prime Minister who is supposed to share power with his cabinet with collective responsibility," he said.
On Teachers' Day, in a first-of-its-kind exercise to reach out to students, Modi will give a pep-talk to about 1,000 selected students at the Manekshaw Auditorium in Delhi and interact with them, taking some questions through a video conferencing facility. The telecast would start at 3 PM and will continue up to 4.45 PM.
The programme would be beamed live to over 18 lakh government and private schools in the country via all Doordarshan and education channels.
- Centre Applauds Army's Attack On Pakistan Posts
- ISIS Claims Responsibility For Manchester Blast That Killed 22
- James Bond Actor Roger Moore Dies At 89
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 1984 Riots: Congress Leader Jagdish Tytler Refuses To Undergo Polygraph Test
- Bomb Scare Delays Movie Screening At Cannes
- Indian Railways' First Ever High-Speed Luxurious Train, Tejas Express, To Be Flagged Off Today
- Allegations Prove Others Are Scared of AAP's Anti-Corruption Campaign: Kejriwal
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10