Modi Centre of Attention at Prez' 'At Home'
Prime Minister Narendra Modi was at the centre of attention today at the 'At Home' function hosted by President Pranab Mukherjee on the occasion of the 68th Independence Day here.
A relaxed Modi broke the security cordon and freely mingled with the guests and exchanged greetings. It was a maiden 'At Home' for 63-year-old Modi.
With folded hands, Modi was seen receiving compliments from the invitees for his first Independence Day speech from the ramparts of the Red Fort as several invitees made a beeline seeking his autograph.
Invitation cards, its envelopes, small pieces of notepad and even paper napkins were used by people who had gathered in the sprawling lawns of Mughal Garden to get an autograph of the Prime Minister.
Modi responded to the compliments from the assembled guests by saying that everyone has to work for development of the country and that he requires everyone's support to achieve that goal.
An enthusiastic TV journalist made attempts to speak to the Prime Minister but he only responded with a smile.
Modi returned to the VVIP enclosure and was seated facing Congress President Sonia Gandhi. There was no exchange of greetings between the two.
Gandhi was seen having a chit-chat with senior BJP leader L K Advani, who was seated next to her in the VVIP enclosure.
The enclosure saw some changes this year with Vice President Hamid Ansari's seat being shifted to the row opposite to the President.
Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh with his wife Gursharan Kaur, Chief Justice of India R M Lodha, Home Minister Rajnath Singh, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan and Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Ghulam Nabi Azad were among others present in the VVIP enclosure.
The President took a round outside the VVIP enclosure and met people besides taking a round of the corner where diplomats from various countries were having their tea and snacks.
There was no separate enclosure for cabinet ministers or diplomatic corps this time at the function which saw a gathering of nearly 1,500 people.
- Ahead of Diwali, Govt Approves 2 Per Cent Hike in DA
- Need to Have a Relook on the Minority Tag Given to Muslims: Giriraj Singh
- Pakistan Condemns 'Manhandling' Of Staffer, Says Espionage Charges False
- No Regulation of Media in a Democracy: Venkaiah Naidu
- Pak High Commission Staffer Asked to Leave India Within 48 Hrs
- SC Defers Hearing of Election Petition Against Sonia Gandhi
- Watch: Donald Trump Pulls Out All The Stops With 'Ab Ki Baar, Trump Sarkar'
- Daily Curator: What Happens In Family May Not Stay So
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Libya's Navy Says 90 Migrants Perished After Boat Fell Apart
- Ready to Sacrifice Myself for the Party: Amar Singh
- Neither Bua Nor Bhatija Can Improve Law and Order in UP: Amit Shah
- Pak Not to Attend Asian Ministerial Conference on Disaster
- Twitter to Cut 9 Per Cent of Staff, Plots New Growth Strategy
- Ceasefire Violations, If Continues, Will Not Go Unpunished: Sharif Warns India
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED