Model's Rape: Accused DIG Says No to Polygraph Test
Senior Maharashtra IPS officer Sunil Paraskar, accused of raping and molesting a model-turned -actress, has declined to undergo a polygraph test while the victim expressed readiness to face the scientific examination.
To conduct the test, the consent of person/persons in question is required and hence police had written to both Paraskar and the survivor seeking their consent to subject them to the examination, commonly known as lie detector test.
"My client has refused to undergo the polygraph test. We gave our response in writing (to police)," Rizwan Merchant, the counsel for Paraskar, said today.
Police maintained the DIG-level officer and the model were not forthcoming about some questions posed to them during recording of their statements. Hence, investigators pushed for subjecting the duo to polygraph test.
The 25-year-old victim said she was ready to face lie detector test and sought to know why the top cop was not giving his consent for the same. "I have just signed (papers) to agree to undergo a polygraph test," she told PTI.
The victim's lawyer, Chitra Salunkhe, claimed the officer had been changing his statements. "Paraskar knows his lies would be uncovered if lie detector test is carried out on him."
Following the model's complaint, Paraskar was booked under IPC Sections 376(2)(rape by a police officer), 376 C (intercourse by superintendent of jail, remand home, etc) and 354 (D) (stalking) at Malwani Police Station on July 23.
The 57-year-old DIG (Protection of Civil Rights Units) is at present posted at Maharashtra Police Headquarters here.
Investigators have identified two places - a bungalow in Madh Island in suburban Mumbai and a flat in neighbouring Navi Mumbai -- where the alleged incidents took place.
The DIG, granted interim protection from arrest till August 5 by a court here, has been questioned twice so far.
Meanwhile, the name of a businessman who was arrested last year has cropped up in the case. Crime Branch, handling the rape case, yesterday recorded statement of Bimal Agarwal, the businessman who has been linked to the DIG.
Agarwal had been arrested by Economic Offences Wing for allegedly supplying sub-standard bomb disposal suits to the police force.
According to the model, Agarwal had in December 2013 dropped Paraskar outside a mall in suburban Malad in his vehicle. From there, she and the IPS officer went to the Madh bungalow where the alleged sexual assault took place.
- One Killed In Clashes At Saharanpur, Mayawati Slams Yogi Government
- Twitter Forces Rawal To Delete Tweet On Roy
- Melania Trump Evades Donald Trump’s Hand Again, For The Second Time
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10