Mobile Service Charges Likely to Go Up Soon: RCom
Gaining confidence from TRAI Chairman's remark that mobile tariff may rise, telecom operator Reliance Communications today said it is looking at reducing discounts on mobile services from about 25 per cent at present to 15 per cent soon.
"Industry is also going through virtual consolidation and pricing power is coming back to the operator. The regulator has confirmed and gone on record to say that tariff may increase up to 9 per cent in a year. All these developments are helping investor in reposing their faith on future of Indian telecom sector," RCom CEO Vinod Sawhny said today.
He was speaking at company's earnings call.
TRAI (Telecom Regulatory Authority of India) Chairman Rahul Khullar had recently said that there might be an increase in mobile services rates in a year.
RCom's President and CEO for wireless business said the mobile services rates, be it voice or internet, are going to rise in the coming days and customers completing six-month in a scheme will be gradually move to new rates.
"We see in coming quarters tariff are going to be harder because of decrease in freebies in the network and also we need to upgrade certain consumers from below cost to serve to cost to serve by changing and modulating tariff," Singh said.
He said companies will lower discounts they offer through various scheme which will lead to hardening of mobile tariffs.
"Our endeavor is to bridge gap between headline tariff and the pack tariff. Today they are at about 20 to 25 per cent discount. Going forward, we would love to bring them below 15 per cent. That is the position towards which we are heading," he said.
Talking about expansion, Singh said that RCom will start providing 3G services at pan-India level by end of current quarter by partnering with other companies in telecom circles where it does not hold 3G spectrum.
RCom posted over 22 per cent increase in consolidated net profit at Rs 132 crore for the first quarter ended June 30, 2014.
The company had reported a net profit of Rs 108 crore in the same quarter of 2013-14.
RCom registered marginal increase in its consolidated income from operations at Rs 5,354 crore during the reported quarter from Rs 5,315 crore it posted in corresponding period of financial year 2012-13.
- Can't Allow Lives of Muslim Women to be Ruined by Triple Talaq: PM
- Militants Open Fire at Manipur CM's Helicopter, He Escapes Unhurt
- Women to be Granted Access to Haji Ali Shrine on Par With Men: Dargah Trust to SC
- Let Netaji Install a CM Who He Feels is Honest: Akhilesh
- BSF Jawan, Six-Yr-Old Boy Killed in Pak Firing in J&K
- Govt Plans to Further Liberalize Visa Regime to Boost Tourism: Swaraj
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Seven Killed, 94 Injured in Massive Explosion in China
- Centre 'Politicising' Triple Talaq Issue to Polarise Hindu Votes: Muslim Women Org
- CBI Shielding Tytler in 1984 Anti-Sikh Riots Case, Alleges AAP
- Aircel-Maxis Case: Kalanithi Denies CBI Claim of Pressurising Telecom Promoter
- China Warns US Against Meddling After Envoy's Arunachal Trip
- People Celebrated Choti Diwali on September 29 After Surgical Strikes: PM
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Ratan Tata: 'I Think Everybody Knows Where The Intolerance Is Coming From...'
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia
- Scenes With Ranbir in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Not Frivolous Sensuality: Aishwarya
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'