Missing Soldier's Body Recovered From Siachen After 18 Years
The body of an Indian Army Havaldar has been recovered from Siachen Glacier in Jammu and Kashmir, 18 years after he was reported missing from the world's highest battlefield.
Army Chief Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag today paid homage to the "well preserved" body of Havaldar Gaya Prasad which was buried in ice at the Glacier, where temperatures drop to minus 60.
Prasad, a native of Mainpuri district in Uttar Pradesh, had gone missing while on duty on Siachen Glacier in 1996 and his body was recovered only last week, an Army official said.
His mortal remains will now be transported by road to his native village of Kurlia under Kishni police station area in the district, where the last rites will be performed tomorrow.
The Havaldar of 15 Rajput unit was declared 'Missing Dead' 18 years ago while serving at Khanda Post in Siachen (Northern Glacier).
As per the records available with the Army, he was collecting stores dropped by helicopter at Khanda Dropping Zone, when he fell into a crevasse on December 9, 1996.
"All attempts to rescue him could not succeed despite sustained efforts over three days," an Army release said.
The body was recovered by a unit deployed in the area after it had partially surfaced and was identified as that of Prasad.
He is survived by his father, Subedar(Rtd) Gajadhar Singh, wife Rama Devi, one son and two daughters.
- Stone-Pelters Should Fire Weapons, Then I Could Do What I Want: Rawat
- Impose Governor's Rule If J&K Is To Be Saved: Farooq Abdullah
- Narada Journalists Threaten Hunger Strike Over Dues
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10