Ministries Asked to Give Inputs for Modi's First I-Day Speech
As Prime Minister Narendra Modi prepares for his maiden Independence Day address, various ministries have been asked to furnish by this month end details of programmes in different sectors which could form part of his speech, possibly in the form of announcements.
The Prime Minister's focus in the August 15 address from the iconic Red Fort is expected to be on infrastructure development, skill development, job creation, control of inflation and building of 100 smart cities across the country.
The Finance Ministry has written to other ministries and departments asking them to spell out the roadmap for implementation of the Budget proposals and new schemes that could be launched, sources said here today.
They have been asked to reply by July-end after which the details will be forwarded to Cabinet Secretary Ajit Seth.
The Cabinet secretariat will assess these inputs and important decisions will be taken before August 10 regarding what will form part of the address, the sources said.
Modi's first address to the nation from the historic monument will be watched keenly as he has outlined that his priority areas would be 'good governance' and development, the planks on which BJP got a landslide victory in the Lok Sabha elections.
In this regard, his focus is on developing infrastructure like world class roads, airports, ports and railway networks besides development of rivers
Outlining its vision in the President's Address to Parliament last month, the Modi government had said it will revive 'Brand India', riding on its strengths of five 'T's -- tradition, talent, tourism, trade and technology -- and pursue foreign policy on the basis of "enlightened nationalism" and mutually beneficial relationships.
To revive the economy which has seen sub-five per cent growth for the last two years, the government has promised to create a policy environment which is "predictable, transparent and fair" so that the investor sentiment is re-ignited and foreign investors pump in money.
The government is also focussing on developing energy-related infrastructure, human resource and technology for which it has promised to come out with a comprehensive National Energy Policy.
Housing is another aspect to which the goverment is paying keen attention besides sanitation and 24X7 electricity supply and access.
Last year, Modi, as Chief Minister of Gujarat, had attacked the then Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, saying his Independence Day address contained nothing new.
Modi had alleged that much of what Singh spoke was said by first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru in his First Independence Day address.
"I am wondering that despite your name being included among those who have unfurled the tri-color on maximum occasions, you are saying the same things which were said by Pandit Nehru in his first address to our nation," Modi had said, addressing Singh.
"The same problems and concerns are highlighted by you (Manmohan Singh) today which were mentioned by Nehru in his first speech. The question arises what did you do for the past 60 years," he had asked.
FROM OUTLOOKcover storyThe clouds over Vajpayee's fate may have blown over but hitherto friendly voices—from within the BJP and the...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionThere is quite an understandable outrage at the gomore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, July 30 (PTI) Congress today said the Nmore from WIRES>>>
- My Party and My Family Are United: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Tata-Mistry Tussle Heads to the Courts As Tatas File Caveats in SC, HC, NCLT
- Yashwant Sinha Led Delegation Meets Hurriyat Leader Geelani to Break Kashmir Impasse
- Six Members of a Family Injured in Pak Shelling in Jammu
- SC Directs Vijay Mallya to Disclose His Foreign Assets in Four Weeks
- Delhi: One Person Killed In Blast At Naya Bazar, Rajnath Calls Delhi CP
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- E-Ballot Facility for Service Voters Gets Govt Nod: CEC
- Snatch Tribal Rights, Face Action, Warns PM
- 300-Year-Old British Coin, One of Only 20 Ever Minted, Found in 4-Year-Old's Treasure Chest
- Muslim Community Must Seriously Ponder Over Triple Talaq: RSS
- Rename HRD Ministry as Education Ministry: Sisodia to Javadekar
- Saudi Man Dumps Bride for Sharing Pictures on Snapchat Just 2 Hrs After Wedding
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman Of Tata Sons, Ratan Tata To Hold Interim Position
- Ratan Tata: 'I Think Everybody Knows Where The Intolerance Is Coming From...'
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia