Mining-Land Scams: CPI Demands CBI Probe Into Scams in Odisha
Demanding a CBI probe into mining and land scams in Odisha, CPI today alleged that the state has become a sanctuary for "plunderers" during Naveen Patnaik rule.
"The party will launch a week-long state-wide stir from September 15 to demand CBI probe into the mining and land scams and refund of money to chit fund depositors," CPI state Secretary Dibakar Nayak told reporters here.
Adequate compensation to farmers in flood affected areas and distribution of 'pattas' to the landless would also be demanded during the week-long civil disobedience movement to be resorted to across the state, including block and tehsil level, Nayak said.
Alleging that people who had looted huge money through mining, land and chit fund scams were ruling the roost in Odisha, the CPI stalwart claimed the state has turned into a safe haven and sanctuary for plunderers during the BJD government headed by Patnaik.
Stating that real culprits in all the scams can be punished only through a thorough probe by CBI, Nayak said though the Shah Commission recommended a CBI inquiry into the multi-crore mining scam, neither the Odisha government nor the Centre was in favour of such a probe.
Referring to alleged irregularities in land allotment, he said several influential people including political leaders and officials have grabbed land and houses in illegal manner and therefore, state investigating agencies would not be able to conduct fair and impartial probe into the matter.
The CPI leader said the left party would intensity its agitation further if CBI investigation was not ordered into all the scams that rocked the state.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- 2 Indians Die Every Minute Due to Air Pollution: Study
- Soon, Passport Can Be Applied At Post Offices
- NGT Slaps Rs 10Lakh Fine On Noida-Based Water Bottling Unit
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Jet Airways Restores Contact With ATC After German Authorites Send Fighter Jets for Fear Of Hijack
- 61.16 Per Cent Turnout in UP Phase-3: Polling Peaceful
- People Will Take Revenge on BJP For Note Ban: Rahul, Akhilesh
- Ravi Shankar Prasad Dares Congress, SP, BSP to Clarify Stand on Triple Talaq
- UP Polls: Over 55 Per Cent Turnout Till 4 PM
- Mulayam Clarifies No Rift In SP, Confident Akhilesh Will Be CM
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED