Merkel Warns Against Severing Ties With Putin Over Ukraine
German Chancellor Angela Merkel warned today against severing ties with Russian President Vladimir Putin over the Ukraine crisis but said he must also do his part.
Merkel told the Saechsische Zeitung newspaper she was "working very hard to keep the lines of communication open" with Putin despite the EU's decision last month to level sanctions against Russia over its actions in the ex-Soviet state.
"But for constructive relations it takes more than one," she added.
"I have always called for constructive cooperation with Russia and will continue to do so in future."
However, Merkel said she would never accept the annexation of the Crimean peninsula from Ukraine in March this year.
She said there was a basic consensus "that we Europeans respect the territorial integrity of our states -- that we don't unilaterally change borders".
"If such an annexation, which violates international law, were to become a political instrument that were accepted without challenge, then everything that has allowed us to live in peace and prosperity for half a century would be in danger," she said.
"That is why we do not accept Russia's actions."
Merkel, a fluent Russian speaker, has held regular talks by telephone with Putin, who served as a KGB agent in Dresden during the Cold War, since the Ukraine crisis erupted, urging respect for Ukrainian sovereignty.
Germany, whose trade ties with Russia amounted to nearly 90 billion euros (USD 120 billion) last year, had long resisted imposing broad economic sanctions against Moscow.
But the shooting down last month of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17, allegedly by pro-Moscow rebels with a Russian-made missile, led the EU's top economic power to adopt a firmer line.
FROM OUTLOOKForeign AffairsIndia has to take stock of its diminishing role in institutions like NAM and the UN...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBDiaryThey always sell the Olympics as a symbol of intermore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, Feb 16 Britain today suggested that Indmore from WIRES>>>
- Pak Balochistan Province Assembly Resolution Condemns Modi
- PM's Fresh Bid on Kashmir: Talks of 'Ekta' And 'Mamata'
- JNU Rape Case: Varsity Suspends Accused Scholar
- Curfew in Some Parts of Srinagar, Two Towns in South Kashmir
- Trump Vows to Begin Deportations Immediately If Sworn In
- Pak: LeJ Terrorists Involved in Lanka Cricket Team Attack Killed
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Wet Outfield Denies India Chance to Level Series
- Delhi: 15-Year-Old Beaten to Death by Three Classmates, Says Police
- Scorpene Leak: DCNS Moves Aussie Court for Injunction Against The Australian
- Vadra, BJP MLA Engage in Verbal Spat Over Shaktiman
- Merkel Rejects Muslim Migrant Ban, Urges Fair Distribution
- Minor Raped by Juvenile Neighbour in Delhi
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED