Members Want Suspension of Question Hour to Discuss Bill
Cutting across party lines, Rajya Sabha members today made a futile bid for suspension of Question Hour to take up resumed discussion on a Bill that seeks to change the appointment system of judges.
Soon after the House met for the day, Naresh Agrawal (SP), Sharad Yadav (JD-U), Derek O'Brien (TMC) and V Maitreyan (AIADMK) stood up saying the matter was important and needed threadbare discussion.
Their contention was suspension of Question Hour would ensure sufficient time for discussion and also help them go to their respective states for Independence Day.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister M Venkaiah Naidu also said the government would not mind if the Chair intends to suspend Question Hour, taking sense of the House into consideration, but left the matter to the Chair to decide.
Ansari tried to pacify members saying that enough time was there to take up both the Question Hour and a discussion on the Bill as a consensus was already arrived at on doing away with Zero Hour on the last day of the session as suggested by the government.
FROM OUTLOOKparliament: jpc probeA whole Parliament session wasted. How our MPs undermine our democracy...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFor the recordI want to expresse shock and protest the traffickimore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, Jul 23 (PTI) The 1999 Kargil incursionsmore from WIRES>>>
- Seven Pak Rangers Killed, One Terrorist Shot Down in Retaliatory Firing at IB in Kathua: BSF
- IS Jihadists Attack Iraq's Kirkuk in Mosul Diversion, 16 Dead
- SC Tightens Noose Around BCCI, Chokes Funds to State Units
- Govt Assures Prompt Action on ATM Card Data Breach
- Trump's National Political Director 'Steps Back' From Campaign
- Five Naval Men Held for Attacking Youth in Goa
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Watch: Jack Reacher-Never Go Back Trailer
- No Need for Comments After Varun's Clarification: BJP
- USA: Twitter, Spotify Disrupted as Internet Provider Reports Attack
- Sheena Bora Case: CBI Files Second Supplementary Charge Sheet
- Wipro Q2 Net Profit Dips 7.6% at Rs 2,070 Crore
- BJP Demands NIA Probe Into Killings of RSS, Party Activists
- Akhilesh Skips Meet Where Shivpal Declares Him CM Nominee
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'