Meeting of India, Pak Border Forces Unproductive
Border forces of India and Pakistan today met for the first time since the recent spate of ceasefire violations but failed to agree on anything substantive in the 45-minute meeting.
The meeting between BSF and Pakistan Rangers was held to defuse tension on the border but no issues relating to escalating ceasefire violations were discussed, officials said.
Pakistan has requested for a Sector Commander or higher level flag meeting to resolve the issue regarding firing and shelling and ease tension, they said.
According to BSF, firing by Pakistani forces along International Border (IB) in the past 45 days was possibly the "heaviest" since the 1971 war.
Commandant of 33 Battalion of BSF S K Singh led the Indian side while Mohammad Waqar, Wing Commander of 19 Desert Rangers, headed the Pakistani team at the meeting today.
Inspector General of BSF R K Sharma told reporters that in today's meeting, it was decided that talks should continue.
"No issues relating to ceasefire were discussed in today's meeting," he said, adding the level of next flag meeting to be held and the venue were taken up.
"Both sides will take up the proposal and finalise the issues in the next two to three days," the IG said.
On today's meeting, he said, "Pakistan had invited us for the meeting and we responded quickly," he said, adding, "Our stand is clear. We want peace to prevail along the border. Whenever Pakistan has requested us, we have responded positively."
Two civilians were killed 17 others including 4 BSF jawans were injured in firing and shelling by Pakistani troops in the past two months.
India had yesterday lodged a protest with Pakistan over escalating border ceasefire violations. The protest was lodged during telephonic talks between the DGMOs (Director General Military Operations) of the two countries.
- K.P.S. Gill, Who Killed Terrorism In Punjab, Dies
- Yeddyurappa Will Be BJP's CM Face In Karnataka: Shah
- Modi Govt Should Rethink NITI Aayog Existence: RSS trade union
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' to release in China
- Angry Over Amit Shah's Comment, Telangana CM Says No Final Decision On Supporting BJP For President Post
- Indian Woman Uzma, Who Was Forced to Marry Pakistani Man, Returns Home, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- Malayali Man Brings His Pakistani Lover And Her Parents to India With Fake Docs, All Detained in Bengaluru
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10