Meerut Rape: Affidavit Not Signed by Woman, Says Police
The young woman, who was allegedly raped and forcibly converted to another religion in Meerut, did not sign the affidavit of conversion, police said today as it arrested two more persons for their suspected role in forging the document.
With today's arrests, the total number people nabbed in connection with the case have reached five.
Three of four persons named in the FIR were arrested on Monday while a non-bailable warrant has been issued against the remaining accused who is absconding.
"Two more persons have been arrested in Meerut incident. Earlier, a named FIR was lodged against four persons of which three have already been arrested," Secretary (Home) Kamal Saxena told reporters here.
Saxena said that the affidavit recovered from the girl was examined, which showed that it was not signed by her, but by some other person.
"During examination of the document three more names, other than the named accused, surfaced of which Gul Sanwar and Wakeel Ahmad have been arrested," he said.
The Secretary said that the medical examination of the 20-year-old girl had been done and on the basis of its report an advanced test has been recommended.
"The statement of the girl before the Magistrate was also recorded," he said.
Saxena said that the FIR was lodged on August 3 and acting promptly police arrested three of four named accused.
"A non-bailable warrant has been issued against one remaining accused. Teams have been constituted and raids are being conducted," he said.
In a complaint, the woman's father alleged that his daughter was abducted on July 23 and taken to a madrassa in Kharkhauda, where she was raped by some of the accused.
"They also forcefully made her sign some papers related to religious conversion," he had alleged.
Meanwhile, taking note of Kharkhauda incident UP State Women Commission has decided for on the spot inquiry.
Member secretary Anita Verma Singh said that she along with the chairperson Zarina Usmani and member Rajdevi Chaudhary will go to the village concerned and meet the victim and her family members.
She said that the commission would conduct a detailed inquiry and review.
FROM OUTLOOKCrimeA series of shocking crimes that began the year seal Delhi's reputation as an anti-woman city...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionWhen I first came to Goa 25-plus years ago, one ofmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESA 24-year-old MBA student was kidnapped and allegmore from WIRES>>>
- PM Should Also be Suspended for 'Inviting ISI to Pathankot': Mann
- Patient Shoots Doctor at Berlin Hospital, Kills Self: Police
- Irom Sharmila to Call Off Hunger Strike After 16 Years
- Devas-Antrix Deal: India Loses Arbitration Case at the Hague
- Four Militants Killed, Another Apprehended in Kupwara
- Flipkart Acquires Jabong From Global Fashion Group
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- 'Pained' by Una Episode, Many Dalits Plan to Embrace Buddhism
- British PM May Calls Sharif to Discuss Ties
- Child Labour Bill a Missed Opportunity for Children: Satyarthi
- Govt Holds Meet With RSS Affiliates Over Key Economic Issues
- HC Seeks Centre's Report on Use of Pellet Guns in Kashmir
- Psychological Warfare on Social Media Our New Threat: Rathore
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED