Manpreet Named Asia's Junior Player of the Year
Rising Indian midfielder Manpreet Singh was named the 'Junior Player of the Year' by the Asian Hockey Federation in its Congress held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
The 22-year-old has played 103 international matches and captained the junior men's team in the Hero FIH Hockey Junior Men's World Cup in New Delhi, and the third Sultan of Johor Cup in Johor Bahru last year.
Manpreet's best moment was to win the Sultan of Johor Cup under his leadership. In this prestigious tournament, India's junior team displayed their high-level hockey skills and defeated England, Argentina, Pakistan and South Korea. In the final match, India thrashed host Malaysia 3-0 and clinched the Gold Medal.
Manpreet made his international debut in 2011 and since then, he has been a regular member of the Indian team.
The Jalandhar-lad was also a part of the silver medal winning Indian team at the Commonwealth Games in Scotland and represented India at the FIH Men's World Cup (Netherlands), Hero FIH Hockey World League Final.
At present, Manpreet is a part of senior men's core probable team for the 2014 Asian Games.
On his special achievement, Hockey India, Secretary General Narinder Batra said, "I congratulate Manpreet for this special achievement, and this also shows the potential of young Indian hockey players. Manpreet works very hard and has proved himself at all age-groups and competitions.
"Apart from a skillful midfielder, he also has the leadership qualities to motivate other players to fight till the final whistle. This announcement is a great achievement for Indian hockey."
- DMK Objects to Jayalalithaa's Portraits
- 'I Am Not Scared Of ABVP', DU Student And Kargil Martyr's Daughter's Facebook Post Goes Viral Sends Strong Message To ABVP
- 'Delhi Police Has Become Agent of BJP'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Ramjas Violence: College Forms Panel to Probe Students' Role
- 'Rs 10 Lakh Each Paid To 141 Families Of Manual Scavengers': TN Govt Tells Madras HC
- China's Bad Loans In 2016 Came Up To A Whopping USD 220 Billion
- Donkeys, Pigeons And Even Kasab: Morsels Of Madness From Uttar Pradesh
- DCW Orders Probe into Alleged Attacks on Women by Cops at DU
- BMC: Congress’s Gurudas Kamat Opposes Tie Up With Shiv Sena
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman