Manpreet Named Asia's Junior Player of the Year
Rising Indian midfielder Manpreet Singh was named the 'Junior Player of the Year' by the Asian Hockey Federation in its Congress held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
The 22-year-old has played 103 international matches and captained the junior men's team in the Hero FIH Hockey Junior Men's World Cup in New Delhi, and the third Sultan of Johor Cup in Johor Bahru last year.
Manpreet's best moment was to win the Sultan of Johor Cup under his leadership. In this prestigious tournament, India's junior team displayed their high-level hockey skills and defeated England, Argentina, Pakistan and South Korea. In the final match, India thrashed host Malaysia 3-0 and clinched the Gold Medal.
Manpreet made his international debut in 2011 and since then, he has been a regular member of the Indian team.
The Jalandhar-lad was also a part of the silver medal winning Indian team at the Commonwealth Games in Scotland and represented India at the FIH Men's World Cup (Netherlands), Hero FIH Hockey World League Final.
At present, Manpreet is a part of senior men's core probable team for the 2014 Asian Games.
On his special achievement, Hockey India, Secretary General Narinder Batra said, "I congratulate Manpreet for this special achievement, and this also shows the potential of young Indian hockey players. Manpreet works very hard and has proved himself at all age-groups and competitions.
"Apart from a skillful midfielder, he also has the leadership qualities to motivate other players to fight till the final whistle. This announcement is a great achievement for Indian hockey."
- Indian Origin Punjabi Bus Driver Burnt to Death in Australia
- SC Dismisses Petition, Says Armed Forces Answerable To Government
- Fifteen Pakistan Rangers Killed In BSF's Retaliatory Fire In The Past Week
- Judges Selection: SC Slams Centre for Bringing Courts to a Grinding Halt
- US Charges 61 People in Multi-Million Dollar Indian Call Center Scam
- Pak Violates Ceasefire Along LoC in Jammu, Rajouri, Kathua, Girl Injured
- Daily Curator: While India Plays Spy-Spy With Pakistan, China Issues Gentle Reminder
- Watch: Donald Trump Pulls Out All The Stops With 'Ab Ki Baar, Trump Sarkar'
- Daily Curator: What Happens In Family May Not Stay So
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Goa's First Woman CM Shashikala Kakodkar Dies at 81
- Mirwaiz Taken Into Custody for Taking Out Protest March
- BSP Will Probe Akhilesh's 'Big' Economic Decisions: Mayawati
- Home Ministry Says Pakistan 'Spy' Was Gathering Intel For Terror Strike
- Separatists Against Education, Using Children as Cannon Fodder: Mehbooba
- Poop Falls From Sky On Residents Close To IGI, NGT Orders Inspection
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED