Mamata Asks Officials to Stop Potato Export
Concerned over rising prices of potato, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee today directed officials of all departments concerned to stop its export to other states and neighbouring countries immediately till prices returned to normal levels.
Speaking after an emergency meeting of the Task Force on Price Rise, state Agriculture Minister Purnendu Bose told reporters that the state government had already issued two orders - one to stop export of the vegetable and the other to fix a ceiling on stock of it by the wholesale and retail traders.
"While traders in wholesale markets will be able to stock a maximum of 2,000 quintals of potato and 500 quintals of onion, the limit for traders in retail markets is 50 quintals for potato and 20 quintals for onion. The police will take action against any one trying to violate this order," Bose said.
The CM cautioned officials of the departments concerned for a failure to execute government orders properly to prevent rise in potato prices, while asking the traders also to abide by the government directives, sources said pleading anonymity.
Originally the Task Force on Price Rise was scheduled to meet on August 11, but the Chief Minister hurriedly called the emergency meeting today.
The secretary of the Forum of Traders' Organisation (West Bengal), Rabindra Nath Koley said that the traders had assured the Chief Minister that they would strictly abide by the directives of the state government.
Koley said the CM had also directed the police to seize trucks carrying the tuber and sell the quantity at the rate of Rs 14 per kg.
Restrictions on sale of potato outside the state was imposed in June this year.
The state still has sufficient stock of potato which would help meet its demand till December when the next crop would be available, he said.
FROM OUTLOOKLand ReformsInstead of helping the small farmer, West Bengals land reforms have created a new zamindar class...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionA few years ago, a man used to come home every mormore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, Jul 26 (PTI) Congress President Sonia Gmore from WIRES>>>
- Pak Regrets India's Rejection of 'Discuss Kashmir' Proposal
- Will Scorpene Leak Harm Rafale Deal? Parrikar Doesn't Rule It Out
- Can't Order Establishment of 'Ram Rajya' in the Country: SC
- 11 Turkish Police Killed in Bombing, PKK Blamed
- Haji Ali Dargah Should Allow Women, Says Bombay HC
- 7 Killed as Gunmen Storm Beach Restaurant in Somali Capital
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Will Expedite Trial in Sheena Case: Judge
- Narsingh Would Have Won the Silver, Claims WFI Official
- Punishment Under Section 304A IPC Absolutely Inadequate: SC
- BJP Alleges Nexus Between SP and BSP
- Centre Cuts State Funds But Spends Money on PM's Suit: Mamata
- Four-Year-Old Girl Raped on School Campus in Bhubaneswar
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED