Making All Efforts to Get Jawan Back from Pak: BSF DG
The BSF today said it was making all efforts to secure its jawan, who has been caught by Pakistan after he was swept away by a strong current of the Chenab river in Jammu and Kashmir.
"We have sent a request note through our Wagah frontier and have also requested for a Commandant level flag meeting. We are making all efforts to secure our trooper and I hope that he will sent back to us very soon," BSF Director General D K Pathak said.
Pathak said the trooper, 30-year-old Satyasheel Yadav, had reached the Pakistan territory "accidentally" and he was not part of any "action" that the border guarding force was conducting yesterday when the incident happened.
"We are waiting for their (Pakistan Rangers) response. So far we have not got any. But we are given to understand that a positive response could be expected anytime soon. We are exploring all channels," he said.
Yadav was out on a patrol with three other personnel in the Paragwal-Khour sub-sector of general area Akhnoor when the boat they were travelling in developed a problem.
Officials said when the patrol squad was negotiating a narrow bend in the river in this sector, the engine of the motorboat failed.
A rescue boat later sent to fetch the BSF men was taken by three personnel but Yadav got drifted in the strong current as the rope holding him snapped and he subsequently landed 400 metres away in the Sialkot sector of Pakistan where he was picked up by the villagers initially and then handed over to the Rangers, they said.
FROM OUTLOOKDefenceWith service chiefs increasingly at the mercy of bureaucrats and dwindling budgets, the country's defence preparedness needs to...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionTom Engelhardt addresses the graduates of 2016 fromore from WEB>>>
FROM WIREST V Parasuram Washington, July 23 (PTI) Diffemore from WIRES>>>
- Texas: One Dead, Multiple Victims in Separate Shootings
- Kashmir Unrest: Toll Mounts to 49 as Curfew Continues
- Yemen Government Accepts UN Peace Deal
- India Will Also Win Hearts With Their Conduct in Rio: Modi
- My Economic Plan Would Create 10 Mn Jobs, Says Clinton
- Khattar to Visit Gurgaon Check to Traffic Woes
- Outlook Cover Story On RSS Trafficking Goes Viral
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- PM Pitches for Technological Solutions to Daily Life Problems
- Tokyo Votes to Elect New Governor After Scandals
- All 16 on Hot Air Balloon Killed in Fiery Crash in Texas
- Bulandshahr Gangrape: 14 People Detained
- Somalia: At Least Nine Killed in Attack on Security Facility
- UP: Kanwariya Run Over by Truck, Irate Pilgrims Damage Vehicles
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED