Maha Aarti on Sabarmati River Bank Once a Month
On the lines of the maha aarti performed on the Ganga ghat in Varanasi, Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) and the trustees of the Jagannath temple here have decided to conduct a similar ritual on the Sabarmati river bank once a month starting tomorrow.
The first maha aarti tomorrow will be attended by Gujarat Chief Minister Anandi Patel, an official press release said.
"We are grateful to the Chief Minister Anandi Patel for accepting our invitation to be a part of the maha aarti to be performed on the Sabarmati riverfront near Sardar bridge," Jagannath temple's trustee Mahendra Jha said.
Patel, along with the chief priest of the temple Dilipdasjee Maharaj, will perform the aarti at 6.45 pm in the presence of other dignitaries and citizens.
The idea of maha aarti on the banks of Sabarmati was floated by the trust around a month back during a joint meeting with the AMC officials, he added.
"Just like Varanasi, where maha aarti is performed on a daily basis on the banks of Ganga, we requested the AMC officials to let us start such a ritual here. We are glad that our request has been accepted," Jha said.
However, unlike Varanasi, it will be held only once in a month here, he added.
The Varanasi Ganga maha aarti takes place every sunset at holy Dasaswamedh ghat near Kashi Vishwanath temple. It commences with the blowing of a conch shell, and continues with the waving of incense sticks in elaborate patterns and circling of large flaming lamps.
- Amma's Niece Deepa Launches Political Forum
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- On Jayalalithaa's 69th Birth Anniversary, Niece Deepa Launches 'MGR AMMA Deepa Forum'
- Labourers In Haryana To Get Breakfast For Rs 5, Full Meal For Rs 10
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Man Sitting On Indefinite Hunger Strike Gets Married At The Protest Site
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Female Intruder From Pakistan Shot Dead, Another Arrested By The BSF
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman