Low Growth, High Inflation Not Acceptable: Jaitley
Finance Minister Arun Jaitley today said the current situation of high inflation and low growth has to be reversed to achieve sustainable GDP expansion along with improvement in price situation.
"If inflation is high then you begin at a point where growth is low. We need to change this situation. And, I believe that unless we find out the reasons which have led us to such a situation, it is difficult to solve it," he said.
Jaitley was speaking at a BJP forum meeting here, his second engagement in the nation's financial capital after becoming the finance minister.
He attributed the reasons for the current predicament to policy paralysis and the populist measures of the previous UPA regime.
"Some of the populist schemes like free medicines in Rajasthan did not help the then ruling party to come back to power," the Finance Minister said.
Stating that the Narendra Modi government inherited very low growth, Jaitley said GDP grew at 4.5 per cent and 4.7 per cent, respectively in 2012-13 and 2013-14.
"The manufacturing sector for one year was flat and another year it was negative. When manufacturing growth becomes negative, the Customs and Excise duties come down, revenue of government also comes down, forcing it to borrow more," he said.
Calling for eradication of poverty, the Minister said one of the challenges for the nation is to remove poverty and to increase the pace of development.
"People are not ready to accept that the pace of development is slow and we are not able to remove poverty," he said.
- Forced to Marry Pak Man, Uzma Returns, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- HRD Minister Assures To Declare CBSE Results On Time
- Maharashtra CM Escapes Unhurt After His Helicopter Crash Lands In Latur
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10