LoP Status: Cong Calls Speaker's Decision Unfair
Congress today reacted sharply to Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan's decision rejecting the Leader of Opposition status in Lok Sabha and said it is "unfair and blatantly paritisan".
"The Speaker's ruling is unfair, blatantly partisan and in direct conflict with law and statutes," party spokesman Anand Sharma told PTI.
He said that citing past conventions and Speakers' direction, the present Speaker cannot invoke the same to overrule the law of Parliament and statutes.
"Any convention and Speakers' directive cannot subordinate the law," he said.
Sharma said the Speaker's decision "squarely goes" to prove that the present regime is going to "undermine" every institution including Parliament.
"The Prime Minister's statement of building a consensus is a sham and it shows that he does not believe in consensus but in confrontation," Sharma said.
The Congress demand for being accorded the status of Leader of Opposition to its group chief in Lok Sabha was today rejected by Speaker Sumitra Mahajan.
"I have gone by rules and tradition," she told PTI on the decision.
Congress has been maintaining that there is no law which make it binding for the largest opposition party to have a particular number of seats to claim the LoP status in Lok Sabha.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- 2 Indians Die Every Minute Due to Air Pollution: Study
- Soon, Passport Can Be Applied At Post Offices
- NGT Slaps Rs 10Lakh Fine On Noida-Based Water Bottling Unit
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Jet Airways Restores Contact With ATC After German Authorites Send Fighter Jets for Fear Of Hijack
- 61.16 Per Cent Turnout in UP Phase-3: Polling Peaceful
- People Will Take Revenge on BJP For Note Ban: Rahul, Akhilesh
- Ravi Shankar Prasad Dares Congress, SP, BSP to Clarify Stand on Triple Talaq
- UP Polls: Over 55 Per Cent Turnout Till 4 PM
- Mulayam Clarifies No Rift In SP, Confident Akhilesh Will Be CM
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Watch: Delhi College Guard Brutally Beats Street Dog To Death, Case Registered After Video Goes Viral
- Modi Promised 'Acche Din' Like SRK In DDLJ, Ended Up Being Sholay's Gabbar, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Pakistan Senate Passes Landmark Hindu Marriage Bill
- Bangladesh Bans Irrfan Khan Starrer Biopic No Bed of Roses