LoP Status: Cong Calls Speaker's Decision Unfair
Congress today reacted sharply to Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan's decision rejecting the Leader of Opposition status in Lok Sabha and said it is "unfair and blatantly paritisan".
"The Speaker's ruling is unfair, blatantly partisan and in direct conflict with law and statutes," party spokesman Anand Sharma told PTI.
He said that citing past conventions and Speakers' direction, the present Speaker cannot invoke the same to overrule the law of Parliament and statutes.
"Any convention and Speakers' directive cannot subordinate the law," he said.
Sharma said the Speaker's decision "squarely goes" to prove that the present regime is going to "undermine" every institution including Parliament.
"The Prime Minister's statement of building a consensus is a sham and it shows that he does not believe in consensus but in confrontation," Sharma said.
The Congress demand for being accorded the status of Leader of Opposition to its group chief in Lok Sabha was today rejected by Speaker Sumitra Mahajan.
"I have gone by rules and tradition," she told PTI on the decision.
Congress has been maintaining that there is no law which make it binding for the largest opposition party to have a particular number of seats to claim the LoP status in Lok Sabha.
- Pak Will Give Befitting Response to Any Misadventure: Raheel
- Shahabuddin Surrenders, Says CM Will be 'Taught a Lesson'
- Sri Lanka Becomes Fifth Nation to Pull Out of SAARC
- SC Cancels RJD Leader Shahabuddin's Bail, Sends Him Back to Jail
- Surgical Strikes by India in PoK an Act of Self Defence: Afghanistan
- Bihar Liquor Prohibition Law Illegal, Rules Patna High Court
- Denzel Washington's 'FENCES' Trailer Promises Oscar Contenders
- Roasted For Being Dark, Parched Actor Tannishtha Chatterjee Gets Apology
- Karachi's Stand-Up Comedian Has His Reasons Why India And Pakistan Should Not Go To War
- Prabhu Deva Does A Gandi Baat Jig With Father
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Will Tell India What Is Real Surgical Strike: Saeed
- Telcos Meet TRAI, Allege Tariff Order Violation by RJio
- Surgical Strike: South Korea Supports India's Stance
- Court Issues NBW Against Dawood Ibrahim, Chhota Shakeel
- 10 Killed, 29 Missing in Typhoon Megi in China
- Philippine Prez Duterte 'Happy to Slaughter' Drug Suspects, Mentions Hitler
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED