Libya's Extremists Tighten Grip Over Benghazi
An umbrella group for eastern Libya's extremist militias says it overran three more army bases in the eastern city of Benghazi and seized large amounts of heavy weapons, including armored vehicles, as they tighten their grip on the country's second city.
The Benghazi Revolutionary Shura Council, composed of extremist militias like Ansar al-Shariah, today posted pictures of its leaders posing in front of tanks, multiple rocket launchers, and artillery they claimed to have seized from the bases they overran.
The pictures could not be independently verified but in the past weeks the militants have seized several other bases belonging to the remnants of the Libyan army.
The Islamist militias launched a counteroffensive after units loyal to a renegade army general attempted to dislodge them from the city months earlier.
FROM OUTLOOKPakistanThe madrassahs, flocked by students, are the training ground—for Islamic learning and militancy...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFOR THE RECORDAll of us at Berkeley are devastated by the loss omore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESHTML clipboard With only "half-hearted" measuremore from WIRES>>>
- Patient Shoots Doctor at Berlin Hospital, Kills Self: Police
- Irom Sharmila to Call Off Hunger Strike After 16 Years
- Devas-Antrix Deal: India Loses Arbitration Case at the Hague
- Four Militants Killed, Another Apprehended in Kupwara
- Flipkart Acquires Jabong From Global Fashion Group
- Mass Attack Bid Foiled in Bangladesh, Nine Militants Killed
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- AAP Protests Near Rajnath's House Over Women's Safety
- Dadri Lynching: Akhlaq's Family to Move Allahabad High Court
- Use of Pellet Guns Will Further Alienate People in J&K: Azad
- Court Dismisses AAP MLA Khan's Bail, Sends Him to Jail
- CCI Seeks Details of Spectrum Trading Deals From Operators
- India Abstains From Voting to Grant Consultative Status to CPJ
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED