Letter to Mumbai Police Threatens 'Revenge' for Gaza Attacks
Mumbai Police Commissioner Rakesh Maria has received a letter purportedly threatening a terror attack in the metropolis to "take revenge for Gaza" attacks, following which an alert has been sounded here.
The one-page letter addressed to him was received by Mumbai Police Control Room on July 25 through post, Maria told PTI here today.
"We will take revenge for Gaza. In 1993, you (Maria) got a chance. This time you won't. Stop us if you can," reads the letter signed simply as "Mujahideen".
The other contents of the letter, written in Hindi as well as English, hinted a terror attack in the city, he said.
"We are verifying the authenticity of the letter. However, we are not taking the threat lightly. The Crime Branch and all the police stations have been alerted," Maria said.
The Mumbai police chief had recently issued an internal circular to the police department which has reference to terror attacks at various places in the past, including Maharashtra, during the "festival season" and asked the personnel to be alert.
Following the Friday's terror threat, police is leaving no stone unturned to ensure a tight security across the city on the eve of Eid, he said.
Maria, presently accorded Z-category security, had investigated the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts as Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), rounding up many members of the Dawood Ibrahim gang and other members of his family.
Since last year, NIA, Delhi Police and Maharashtra Police have arrested some key Indian Mujahideen operatives, including Yasin Bhatkal.
The Israeli military offencive on Gaza has claimed the lives of scores of Palestinians and left thousands of others wounded.
- K.P.S. Gill, Who Killed Terrorism In Punjab, Dies
- Yeddyurappa Will Be BJP's CM Face In Karnataka: Shah
- Modi Govt Should Rethink NITI Aayog Existence: RSS trade union
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' to release in China
- Angry Over Amit Shah's Comment, Telangana CM Says No Final Decision On Supporting BJP For President Post
- Indian Woman Uzma, Who Was Forced to Marry Pakistani Man, Returns Home, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- Malayali Man Brings His Pakistani Lover And Her Parents to India With Fake Docs, All Detained in Bengaluru
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10