Leonardo DiCaprio Hands Over Brando's Oscar, Other Artefact to US Govt As Part Of Money Laundering Investigation
Hollywood star Leonardo DiCaprio has returned Marlon Brando's best actor Oscar statuette to the US government as part of an investigation into the money laundering by a state-owned Malaysian investment fund.
DiCaprio received Brando's Oscar and other artefacts as his 38th birthday gift in 2012 from business associates at Red Granite Pictures, which also funded his film "Wolf of Wall Street".
The 42-year-old actor has voluntarily handed over the Oscar statuette and other expensive gifts amid investigation into a USD 3.5-billion money-laundering scheme.
Authorities from the US Department of Justice suspect that Red Granite co-founder Riza Aziz may have helped his stepfather, Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak, embezzle USD 4.5 billion from a political development scheme, reported Los Angeles Times.
The misappropriated funds were used to form the production company that funded the Martin Scorsese-directed movie, about a corrupt stockbroker.
The laundered money was used to fund a lavish lifestyle, including purchases of artwork and jewellery, the acquisition of luxury real estate and luxury yachts, the payment of gambling expenses, and the hiring of musicians and celebrities to attend parties.
The multi-million-dollar artworks in question include a Picasso painting, a photograph by Diane Arbus and a Jean- Michel Basquiat collage, which were supposedly gifted to DiCaprio by Jho Low, Red Granite's purported financier.
The actor had accepted the art with the intention of auctioning off the pieces to raise money for his charitable foundation, according to his spokesperson said.
DiCaprio has already given the art and the Oscar to US authorities, the spokesperson added.
And though there are no plans at this time for DiCaprio to forfeit the money he received for his work on "The Wolf of Wall Street," his spokesperson noted that the actor intends to offer the return of any "gifts or donations" under speculation with "the aid and instruction of the government."
- Cabinet Approves Recommendations On Allowances
- Cabinet Approves Disinvestment Of Air India
- Thousands Protest Against 'Targeted Lynchings' Of Muslims
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 3 Hindu Yuva Vahini Activists Arrested For Alleged Gangrape
- SC Refuses To Pass Interim Order On Government Making Aadhaar Mandatory For Social Welfare Schemes
- Delhi Golf Club Asks Meghalaya Woman To Leave 'For Looking Like A Maid'
- Afghan Air Corridor Shows India's 'Stubborn Geopolitical Thinking', Says Chinese Daily