Lawyers Dominate Modi Cabinet
One-third of the Union Council of Ministers are law degree holders while two are doctors and nine are graduates in various other streams.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Home Minister Rajnath Singh are among 12 ministers in the 44-member team who possess a Masters degree.
As many as 15 who hold law degrees include Cabinet Ministers Sushma Swaraj (External Affairs), Arun Jaitley (Finance), M Venkaiah Naidu (Urban Development), Nitin Gadkari (Road, Transport and Highways), D V Sadanand Gowda (Railways), and Ram Vilas Paswan (Consumer Affairs).
Besides them, Chemicals and Fertilisers Minister Ananth Kumar and Communication and Information Technology Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad also hold law degrees, according to their CVs and self-sworn affidavits.
Ministers of State (Independent Charge) Textiles Santosh K Gangwar, Sarbananda Sonowal (Youth Affairs and Sports), Piyush Goyal (Power) and Rao Inderjit Singh (Planning) also have degrees in law.
Ministers of State for Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises Radhakrishnan P, Kiren Rijiju (Home Affairs) and Krishan Pal (Road Transport and Highways) have completed their graduation in law, according to their affidavits filed while contesting Lok Sabha elections.
The two doctors in the Modi ministry are Harsh Vardhan (Health and Family Welfare Minister) and Jitendra Singh (Minister of State for Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions and Prime Minister's Office).
Minority Affairs Minister Najma A Heptulla has a Masters degree in Zoology and is also a Doctorate of Philosophy; Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Minister Kalraj Mishra is a Master of Arts; Commerce and Industry (Independent Charge) Minister Nirmala Sitharaman a Master of Philosophy; Petroleum and Natural Gas (Independent Charge) Minister Dharmendra Pradhan possesses a Master of Arts and Minister of State for Rural Development Upendra Kushwaha is a postgraduate from Bihar University.
Ministers of State for Agriculture Sanjeev Kumar Balyan and V K Singh (External Affairs) hold PhDs, and MoS for Tribal Affairs Mansukhbhai Dhanjibhai Vasava possesses a Masters in Social Work, according to their affidavits.
There are nine ministers who are graduates--Narendra Singh Tomar (Mines), Radha Mohan Singh (Agriculture), Thawar Chand Gehlot (Social Justice and Empowerment), Shripad Yesso Naik (Culture), Prakash Javadekar (Information and Broadcasting), Manoj Sinha (MoS Railways), Nihalchand (MoS Chemicals and Fertilizers), Raosaheb Dadarao Danve (MoS Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution) and Sudarshan Bhagat (MoS Social Justice and Empowerment).
Food Processing Industries Minister Harsimrat Kaur Badal and Tribal Affairs Minister Jual Oram have diplomas, per their affidavits.
The qualification of six ministers in Modi's team ranges from Class VI to XII. These include Water Resources Minister Uma Bharati (Class VI), Women and Child Development Maneka Sanjay Gandhi (Class X), Civil Aviation Minister Ashok Gajapathi Raju (Class X), Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises Minister Anant Geete (Class X), Mines Minister Vishnu Deo Sai (Class XI) and MoS Civil Aviation G M Siddeshwara (Class X), according to their affidavits.
FROM OUTLOOKparliament: jpc probeA whole Parliament session wasted. How our MPs undermine our democracy...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFor the recordI want to expresse shock and protest the traffickimore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, Jul 23 (PTI) The 1999 Kargil incursionsmore from WIRES>>>
- Rate Cut Possible Only If Inflation Eases: Rajan
- Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa Conferred Khel Ratna Along With Jitu Rai
- Curfew Lifted in Kashmir After 51 Days of Lockdown
- SC Pulls Up Azam Khan for Calling Bulandshahr Gangrape a 'Political Conspiracy'
- Submarine Data Leak Being Viewed 'Very Seriously': Navy chief
- Usain Bolt Won Nine Olympic Golds Because Of Beef: BJP MP
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- John Kerry Samples Delhi Traffic, Gets Stuck in Jam Due to Waterlogging
- EC Notice to Maharashtra BJP, 7 Other Parties for Not Filing Tax Returns
- Govt Defers Mega Spectrum Auction by 2 Days to Oct 1
- Chinese Official Media Slams PM Modi for Balochistan Remarks
- Chopper Scam: Middleman Ready to Meet Indian Cops in Dubai
- Brussels Crime Lab Attacked to 'Destroy Evidence'
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED