Lawyers Dominate Modi Cabinet
One-third of the Union Council of Ministers are law degree holders while two are doctors and nine are graduates in various other streams.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Home Minister Rajnath Singh are among 12 ministers in the 44-member team who possess a Masters degree.
As many as 15 who hold law degrees include Cabinet Ministers Sushma Swaraj (External Affairs), Arun Jaitley (Finance), M Venkaiah Naidu (Urban Development), Nitin Gadkari (Road, Transport and Highways), D V Sadanand Gowda (Railways), and Ram Vilas Paswan (Consumer Affairs).
Besides them, Chemicals and Fertilisers Minister Ananth Kumar and Communication and Information Technology Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad also hold law degrees, according to their CVs and self-sworn affidavits.
Ministers of State (Independent Charge) Textiles Santosh K Gangwar, Sarbananda Sonowal (Youth Affairs and Sports), Piyush Goyal (Power) and Rao Inderjit Singh (Planning) also have degrees in law.
Ministers of State for Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises Radhakrishnan P, Kiren Rijiju (Home Affairs) and Krishan Pal (Road Transport and Highways) have completed their graduation in law, according to their affidavits filed while contesting Lok Sabha elections.
The two doctors in the Modi ministry are Harsh Vardhan (Health and Family Welfare Minister) and Jitendra Singh (Minister of State for Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions and Prime Minister's Office).
Minority Affairs Minister Najma A Heptulla has a Masters degree in Zoology and is also a Doctorate of Philosophy; Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Minister Kalraj Mishra is a Master of Arts; Commerce and Industry (Independent Charge) Minister Nirmala Sitharaman a Master of Philosophy; Petroleum and Natural Gas (Independent Charge) Minister Dharmendra Pradhan possesses a Master of Arts and Minister of State for Rural Development Upendra Kushwaha is a postgraduate from Bihar University.
Ministers of State for Agriculture Sanjeev Kumar Balyan and V K Singh (External Affairs) hold PhDs, and MoS for Tribal Affairs Mansukhbhai Dhanjibhai Vasava possesses a Masters in Social Work, according to their affidavits.
There are nine ministers who are graduates--Narendra Singh Tomar (Mines), Radha Mohan Singh (Agriculture), Thawar Chand Gehlot (Social Justice and Empowerment), Shripad Yesso Naik (Culture), Prakash Javadekar (Information and Broadcasting), Manoj Sinha (MoS Railways), Nihalchand (MoS Chemicals and Fertilizers), Raosaheb Dadarao Danve (MoS Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution) and Sudarshan Bhagat (MoS Social Justice and Empowerment).
Food Processing Industries Minister Harsimrat Kaur Badal and Tribal Affairs Minister Jual Oram have diplomas, per their affidavits.
The qualification of six ministers in Modi's team ranges from Class VI to XII. These include Water Resources Minister Uma Bharati (Class VI), Women and Child Development Maneka Sanjay Gandhi (Class X), Civil Aviation Minister Ashok Gajapathi Raju (Class X), Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises Minister Anant Geete (Class X), Mines Minister Vishnu Deo Sai (Class XI) and MoS Civil Aviation G M Siddeshwara (Class X), according to their affidavits.
- Amma's Niece Deepa Launches Political Forum
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- On Jayalalithaa's 69th Birth Anniversary, Niece Deepa Launches 'MGR AMMA Deepa Forum'
- Labourers In Haryana To Get Breakfast For Rs 5, Full Meal For Rs 10
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Man Sitting On Indefinite Hunger Strike Gets Married At The Protest Site
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Female Intruder From Pakistan Shot Dead, Another Arrested By The BSF
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman