Lawmakers Call for Ending Discrimination of Sikhs in US
Recalling the Oak Creek Gurudwara shooting victims two years ago, two American lawmakers have called for working towards ending discrimination of Sikhs in the US.
"The tragedy in Oak Creek was experienced by one community in Wisconsin but felt by every community around the country. The Sikh community will never forget how, while preparing for Sunday prayer, their peace was shattered. And neither can we," said Congresswoman Judy Chu, Co-Chair of the American Sikh Congressional caucus.
"We must remember the tragedy, but we must also confront it. The violence of August 5, 2012 was born from bigotry and prejudice, which are poisons to our society," she said.
"As we mark this solemn day and remember the six lives lost, we must work to end discrimination so that more communities like Oak Creek will not have to suffer hateful acts based on the intolerance of others. Such intolerance should have no home in our nation," Chu said.
"Two years ago, a bigoted terrorist murdered six innocent Americans and forever altered the lives of their family, friends, and loved ones. We must stamp out this hate from all corners of our nation," said Congressman John Garamendi, who is the other Co-Chair of the American Sikh Caucus.
"We must also remember and promote the remarkable love that has shone through the darkness of that day...," Garamendi said.
The anniversary of Oak Creek comes just days after a Sikh man in Ozone Park, Queens was critically injured by a hit-and-run driver who reportedly screamed racial slurs.
The American Sikh Congressional Caucus is co-chaired by Congressmen Judy Chu, David Valadeo, John Garamendi and Patrick Meehan. Comprised of 42 bi-partisan Members of Congress, the Caucus seeks to educate Members and the general public about Sikh issues and support the Sikh American community.
- CBI Court Grants Bail to Advani, Joshi And Uma Bharti
- Rai To Meet Kohli, Kumble To Resolve Issues Around Coach's Appointment
- Bilkis Bano Rape Case: SC Refuses to Hear Plea of Convicted IPS Officer Bhagora
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10