'Lanka Not Interested in 13th Amendement Implementation'
Tamil National Alliance leader and Sri Lankan MP R Sampanthan today alleged that the island nation government was not interested in implementing the 13th Amendment and was only impeding the functioning of the Northern Provincial Council.
"The government is not interested in implementing the 13th Amendment and is interested in blocking, impeding and restraining the functioning of the NPC," Sampanthan, the veteran Lankan Tamil leader told reporters here.
Regretting that the Chief Minister is unable to even have his choice as Chief Secretary, he said, "that is the situation under which he is functioning."
Alleging that the Governor was interfering with administrative and financial matters, he said, the gubernatorial authority had not even consented to a Bill seeking to set up a "Chief Minister's Fund" intended to take up development work.
"The Governor is impeding his function. Our Chief Minister had been a judge of the Supreme Court. Their expectation is that he will resign, which he wont do," he said.
Accusing Sri Lanka of settling Sinhalese people and militarising traditional Tamil regions, he alleged that their objective was to break the linguistic and cultural contiguity between Northern and Eastern Provinces.
"Their objective is also to change the demographic composition and change the cultural and linguistic identity of Tamil regions. The most urgent need is that this should end," he said.
"It is their hope that if they continue with this, a political solution for Tamils will be irrelevant, a solution could become redundant and they can have their own way," Sampanthan said.
On the Aug 23 meeting he had with Prime Minister Narendra Modi,he said the PM had stated he was committed to ensure that Tamils are able to live in Sri Lanka with self-respect,justice and in safety and equality, fulfilling their legitimate aspirations within the framework of a united Sri Lanka.
This was the position of "not only India, but the European Union and the international community and TNA as well," he said. Modi said he was committed to implementation of not only the 13th Amendment, but going beyond building upon it to ensure justice for Tamils, he said.
"Modi has told us exactly what the government's position is and he has also told President Rajapakse that commitments made to Tamils must be fulfilled," Sampanthan said.
On certain views expressed by BJP leader Subramanian Swamy in Colombo recently, the MP said "he is entitled to his views..We need not be worried about that."
On the Katchatheevu issue, he said, it was between the governments of India and Sri Lanka while on the Tamil Nadu fishermen issue, he said, the fishermen of Lanka and India should settle the issue through dialogue.
FROM OUTLOOKSpotlightThe plight of children of Sri Lankan refugees at a school near Bangalore shows no sign of improving...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBImpressionsJacques Audiard, the well known director of filmsmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESThe Viduthulai Chiruthaigal Katchi (VCK), a pro-LTmore from WIRES>>>
- Govt Plans to Further Liberalize Visa Regime to Boost Tourism: Swaraj
- Teesta Setalvad Liable for Mixing Religion With Politics: HRD Panel
- SP Appears on Brink of Split as CM Sacks Shivpal, Mulayam Expels Ramgopal
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- BSF Jawan Gurnam Singh Injured in Pak Attack Succumbs to Injuries
- ADHM Row: Army Upset Over Being Dragged Into Film Politics, Rejects Forced Donation
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia
- Two Explosions Hit Japanese City in Suspected Suicide Bombing, One Killed
- My Removal From Govt an Attempt to Weaken SP Leadership: Shivpal
- Reports Say Queen Elizabeth Faces Massive Post-Brexit Losses
- Rajnath Singh Leaves for Three-Day Visit to Bahrain, to Raise Pak Issue
- Akhilesh Should Prove His Majority in Assembly or Resign: BJP
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- BJP Wants To Make India a Hindu Rashtra, Owaisi Attacks PM for His 'Jai Shri Ram' Greeting
- Injected With Petrol Into Their Private Parts, UP Teenagers Still Await Surgery
- Scenes With Ranbir in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Not Frivolous Sensuality: Aishwarya
- Muslim Woman Refuses to Accept Triple Talaq Notice by Husband
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'