Landslides in China Kill 11, 27 Missing
Eleven people were killed and 27 others missing after rainstorms and landslides hit China's southwest Chongqing Municipality, affecting nearly nine lakh people.
About 898,000 people in 16 counties in the region have been affected and 39,000 have been evacuated from flooded areas, the Ministry of Civil Affairs said in a report.
Direct economic losses total around 710 million yuan (USD 115 million), the state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
More than 500 professional rescuers, including fire fighters and armed police, have evacuated more than 7,000 residents in nine rain-drenched townships in Yunyang County, said the local rescue headquarters.
The missing include 11 coal miners who were buried by a landslide yesterday.
Torrential rain started to pound Yunyang, Wuxi, Fengjie and Wushan in northeastern Chongqing on Sunday, cutting off traffic, power and communication throughout much of the counties.
Rescuers are working to resume traffic on three major roads and a highway to the county seat of Wuxi.
More than 250,000 residents in 32 townships in Wuxi have been affected by the rainstorm.
Many streets in the county seat have been inundated by flood water as deep as 50 cm, the county's water authorities said.
The National Meteorological Centre forecast heavy rain in Chongqing and neighbouring Sichuan Province today.
The National Disaster Reduction Commission and the Ministry of Civil Affairs issued a grade IV emergency response today and dispatched a work group to the disaster zone to help relief efforts.
- Tardy Reaction To Molestation Of A Ladkhi Girl Opens Wounds Of Government Apathy To The Region
- No Security Stamps In These 7 Airports Anymore
- Kerala To Launch First Sex Offenders Registry
- Gujarat To Ban Hookah Bars
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Government To Launch 'Twitter Seva' To Address Public Grievances
- Gujarat Assembly Passes Bill To Impose Complete Ban On Hookah Bars
- Over 61 % Voting in Phase-IV Of UP Assembly Polls
- Vyapam: No CBI Probe Into Madhya Pradesh Pre-Engineering Test
- No Need To Get Security Stamp On Hand Baggages Anymore In These 7 Airports
- Govt Ropes In Shilpa Shetty As Swachh Bharat Brand Ambassador
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman