Landslides in China Kill 11, 27 Missing
Eleven people were killed and 27 others missing after rainstorms and landslides hit China's southwest Chongqing Municipality, affecting nearly nine lakh people.
About 898,000 people in 16 counties in the region have been affected and 39,000 have been evacuated from flooded areas, the Ministry of Civil Affairs said in a report.
Direct economic losses total around 710 million yuan (USD 115 million), the state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
More than 500 professional rescuers, including fire fighters and armed police, have evacuated more than 7,000 residents in nine rain-drenched townships in Yunyang County, said the local rescue headquarters.
The missing include 11 coal miners who were buried by a landslide yesterday.
Torrential rain started to pound Yunyang, Wuxi, Fengjie and Wushan in northeastern Chongqing on Sunday, cutting off traffic, power and communication throughout much of the counties.
Rescuers are working to resume traffic on three major roads and a highway to the county seat of Wuxi.
More than 250,000 residents in 32 townships in Wuxi have been affected by the rainstorm.
Many streets in the county seat have been inundated by flood water as deep as 50 cm, the county's water authorities said.
The National Meteorological Centre forecast heavy rain in Chongqing and neighbouring Sichuan Province today.
The National Disaster Reduction Commission and the Ministry of Civil Affairs issued a grade IV emergency response today and dispatched a work group to the disaster zone to help relief efforts.
- Former Punjab DGP K.P.S. Gill Dies At 82
- Wreckage Of Missing Sukhoi Fighter Jet Found
- Modi Govt Should Rethink NITI Aayog Existence: RSS trade union
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' to release in China
- Angry Over Amit Shah's Comment, Telangana CM Says No Final Decision On Supporting BJP For President Post
- Indian Woman Uzma, Who Was Forced to Marry Pakistani Man, Returns Home, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- Malayali Man Brings His Pakistani Lover And Her Parents to India With Fake Docs, All Detained in Bengaluru
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10