Land Grab: J&K Speaker Directs Crime Branch to Probe Allegations
Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly Speaker Mubarak Gul today asked the Crime Branch to investigate allegations of land grab against some leaders of opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) including Deputy Speaker Sartaj Madni.
"I direct the Crime Brach to investigate the matter," Mubarak Gul said after Higher Education Minister Mohammad Akbar Lone put forth a suggestion in this regard.
Earlier, the Speaker had said he will constitute a House Committee to probe the matter in a time-bound manner.
However, Lone, a former Speaker, pointed out that the House Committee will not be appropriate as the Legislative Council was already seized of the case.
Ruling National Conference legislator Bashir Ahmad Veeri had yesterday alleged in the Legislative Council that a PDP leader had grabbed over 200 hectares of state land in Marhama area of Anantnag district. He alleged that names of Deputy Speaker Sartaj Madni and PDP patron Mufti Mohammad Sayeed had also figured in the case.
The Legislative Council has already directed the Chief Secretary to ascertain the documents regarding the land in question and submit a report.
Gul also directed the government to present the documents pertaining to the transfer of the state land to an individual before the start of the Question Hour tomorrow.
Madni, meanwhile, said he was ready for any probe into the matter if it was proved that he has purchased any land anywhere in Jammu and Kashmir after joining politics.
He said he would quit politics for the good if it was proved that he had bought any land.
FROM OUTLOOKassembly pollsIt's realignments galore as key players bicker or switch sides in the run-up to the polls...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBAssembly elections 2001In the end there was no constitutional crisis as fmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESThe newly elected members of Jammu and Kashmir Assmore from WIRES>>>
- PM Should Also be Suspended for 'Inviting ISI to Pathankot': Mann
- Patient Shoots Doctor at Berlin Hospital, Kills Self: Police
- Irom Sharmila to Call Off Hunger Strike After 16 Years
- Devas-Antrix Deal: India Loses Arbitration Case at the Hague
- Four Militants Killed, Another Apprehended in Kupwara
- Flipkart Acquires Jabong From Global Fashion Group
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- 'Pained' by Una Episode, Many Dalits Plan to Embrace Buddhism
- British PM May Calls Sharif to Discuss Ties
- Child Labour Bill a Missed Opportunity for Children: Satyarthi
- Govt Holds Meet With RSS Affiliates Over Key Economic Issues
- HC Seeks Centre's Report on Use of Pellet Guns in Kashmir
- Psychological Warfare on Social Media Our New Threat: Rathore
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED