Lalu Prasad Undergoes Heart Surgery in Mumbai
Rashtriya Janata Dal chief Lalu Prasad Yadav today underwent a 6-hour-long cardiac surgery at a private hospital here and his condition is stable now.
The 66-year-old former Bihar Chief Minister was operated at the Asian Heart Institute by a team of 20 doctors under the supervision of well-known cardiac surgeon Ramakanta Panda, who had operated on then Prime Minister Manmohan Singh five years ago.
"The surgery has gone off very well. The surgery, that started at 10 AM continued till about 4 PM, where we replaced his aortic valve that had narrowed. We also repaired his aorta that was dilated. We found a small 3 mm hole in his atrium which we closed during the surgery," Panda, Vice-Chairman and Managing Director of the institute, told PTI.
The former Railway Minister's condition is stable at the moment but he has been kept on a breathing tube for now, he said.
"Lalu Yadav is under anaesthesia and has been kept on a breathing pipe. We are hoping that by tomorrow morning we will be able to remove his breathing pipe," he said.
Two bottles of blood were used to perform the operation on Yadav, who will be kept in the cardiac surgical intensive care unit for the next three days. After that, he will take a week to recover, the Padma Bhushan award winning surgeon said.
Panda said the decision to perform the surgery on Yadav, who was admitted to the institute in suburban Mumbai on Monday, was preceded by a series of medical tests and evaluation on him.
"There were no surprises during the surgical procedure. We had already informed his family that there were multiple issues in the heart and they were ready (for the operation)."
Meanwhile, RJD leaders, legislators and well-wishers conducted a 'hawan' (fire ritual) and special prayers at party headquarters in Patna for Yadav's speedy recovery.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi wished a speedy recovery to the RJD chief and said he prays for his good health.
- Tatas and Mistry Trade Notices
- Yashwant Sinha Led Delegation Meets Hurriyat Leader Geelani to Break Kashmir Impasse
- Pakistan Army Violates Ceasefire in Noushera Sector in Rajouri
- SC Directs Vijay Mallya to Disclose His Foreign Assets in Four Weeks
- Delhi: One Person Killed In Blast At Naya Bazar, Rajnath Calls Delhi CP
- Embraer Paid USD 5.76 Million to Shell Company for IAF Plane Deal
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- Watch: The Trailer For Kahaani 2 Is Out, And It Is Gripping
- Convene TN Assembly on Cauvery Issue: All-Party Meet to State Govt
- SP's Internal Problem Result of Dynasty Politics: Naidu
- Kenya: 12 Killed in Bomb Blast by Shabaab Militants at a Guesthouse
- Tatas and Mistry Trade Notices
- Fire in Hospital's ICU Unit Claims Six Lives in Malaysia, Three Indians Among Dead
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman Of Tata Sons, Ratan Tata To Hold Interim Position
- Ratan Tata: 'I Think Everybody Knows Where The Intolerance Is Coming From...'
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia