Lalu Prasad Undergoes Heart Surgery in Mumbai
Rashtriya Janata Dal chief Lalu Prasad Yadav today underwent a 6-hour-long cardiac surgery at a private hospital here and his condition is stable now.
The 66-year-old former Bihar Chief Minister was operated at the Asian Heart Institute by a team of 20 doctors under the supervision of well-known cardiac surgeon Ramakanta Panda, who had operated on then Prime Minister Manmohan Singh five years ago.
"The surgery has gone off very well. The surgery, that started at 10 AM continued till about 4 PM, where we replaced his aortic valve that had narrowed. We also repaired his aorta that was dilated. We found a small 3 mm hole in his atrium which we closed during the surgery," Panda, Vice-Chairman and Managing Director of the institute, told PTI.
The former Railway Minister's condition is stable at the moment but he has been kept on a breathing tube for now, he said.
"Lalu Yadav is under anaesthesia and has been kept on a breathing pipe. We are hoping that by tomorrow morning we will be able to remove his breathing pipe," he said.
Two bottles of blood were used to perform the operation on Yadav, who will be kept in the cardiac surgical intensive care unit for the next three days. After that, he will take a week to recover, the Padma Bhushan award winning surgeon said.
Panda said the decision to perform the surgery on Yadav, who was admitted to the institute in suburban Mumbai on Monday, was preceded by a series of medical tests and evaluation on him.
"There were no surprises during the surgical procedure. We had already informed his family that there were multiple issues in the heart and they were ready (for the operation)."
Meanwhile, RJD leaders, legislators and well-wishers conducted a 'hawan' (fire ritual) and special prayers at party headquarters in Patna for Yadav's speedy recovery.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi wished a speedy recovery to the RJD chief and said he prays for his good health.
- Whole of J&K Belongs to India: Swaraj on Sharif's 'Delusional Kashmir Dream'
- Kashmir: Congress Decides Not to Meet Rajnath Singh
- Declare Blackmoney by Sept 30 or Face Action: PM
- 80 Dead as IS Claims Twin Blasts During Kabul Protest
- Chennai: Search for Missing IAF Plane Intensified, Parrikar Conducts Aerial Survey
- 'Lone' Munich Shooter Kills Nine in Mall Rampage, Commits Suicide
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- Has TV News Given Up The Ghost On Kashmir?
- Daily Curator: Gujarat Police Reopens The Ghost of Godhra
- Drunk Driver Acted Like Suicidal Human Bomb, Says Court
- 225 Killed or Missing in China Rains, 2.5 Lakh People Trapped
- SE Asia Bloc Pushes for South China Sea Breakthrough
- India Bowl Out West Indies for 243, Take 323-Run Lead
- Brazil Police Arrest Man Suspected of Olympics Attack Plans
- WB: 17-Year-Old Hit by Broken Liquor Bottle During Argument, Dies
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED