Kundankulam Plant Attains Full Generation Capacity
Kundankulam Nuclear Power Plant (KNPP) today attained its full generation capacity and became the first nuclear plant in the country to generate 1,000 MWe of power, its Site Director R S Sundar said.
"At 13.20 hours today, Unit I of Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant started generating its full capacity of 1,000 MWe of power. We will run it for some more time before we stop the unit for conducting some tests as mandated by AERB (Atomic Energy Regulatory Board)," he told PTI over phone.
He also said that of all the sources of power available in the country, units of KNPP had the capacity to produce large amounts of power from a single unit.
"If you take other plants, they can produce only around 540 MWe of power. In the case of thermal plants it could go up to 660 or 680 MWe. Another 700 MWe unit is presently under construction. So KNPP is the first unit in the country to produce 1,000 MWe of power," he said.
Later in a statement, Sundar said "power has been achieved 100 per cent" after conforming to all criteria for system performances as per design requirements, meeting all stipulated statutory and regulatory requirements and final clearance from AERB, based on the report of observer's team, safety review committee and Russian specialists.
He said this is the 21st nuclear power reactor in the country and India's first Pressurised Water Reactor belonging to Light Water Reactor category. "KNPP Units 1 and 2 are VVER-1000 type reactors set up at Kudankulam in Tamil Nadu with technical cooperation with the Russian Federation," he said.
On safety issues, he said the KNPP reactors incorporate enhanced safety features ensuring highest level of safety, in line with current international standards.
"These are Generation III+ reactors incorporating a combination of active and passive safety systems like Passive Heat Removal System, Hydrogen Re-combiners, Core Catcher, Hydro Accumulators and Quick Boron Injection System. This combination of multi-layered safety features ensures safety of the plant, public and environment," he said.
Till date, cumulative generation from Unit 1 of KNPP was around 1,900 million units, he said. KNPP's unit 1 has been contributing to the power-starved Tamil Nadu since October 2013.
Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL) has collaborated with Russia to set up two 1,000 MWe reactors at Kudankulam in Tirunelveli district in Tamil Nadu. Unit 1 attained criticality in July 2013. Power generated from this unit would add 1,000 MW to the southern grid.
Anti-nuclear activists and People's Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMANE) have been spearheading more than a two year old protest against KNPP in Tirunelveli, demanding its closure, citing safety reasons.
FROM OUTLOOKCover StoryIf things don't change, in another three years, the metros can expect 8 to 10 hours of power...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionHere’s the good news: wind power, solar powemore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, July 24 (PTI) As many as 195 small hydrmore from WIRES>>>
- Rate Cut Possible Only If Inflation Eases: Rajan
- Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa Conferred Khel Ratna Along With Jitu Rai
- Curfew Lifted in Kashmir After 51 Days of Lockdown
- SC Pulls Up Azam Khan for Calling Bulandshahr Gangrape a 'Political Conspiracy'
- Submarine Data Leak Being Viewed 'Very Seriously': Navy chief
- Usain Bolt Won Nine Olympic Golds Because Of Beef: BJP MP
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Racism Row After South Africa School Asks Girls to Straighten Hair
- Dana Majhi Takes Part in 'Padayatra' Organised by Congress
- NIA Summons Geelani's Elder Son for Questioning
- John Kerry Samples Delhi Traffic, Gets Stuck in Jam Due to Waterlogging
- EC Notice to Maharashtra BJP, 7 Other Parties for Not Filing Tax Returns
- Govt Defers Mega Spectrum Auction by 2 Days to Oct 1
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED